Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Hey all, I was just wondering if it is possible to have OSX use a non-system disk for VRAM and cache/swapping. I have a cache RAID for PSD/Illustrator that I would like to use for system resources as well...

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
disconap said:
Hey all, I was just wondering if it is possible to have OSX use a non-system disk for VRAM and cache/swapping. I have a cache RAID for PSD/Illustrator that I would like to use for system resources as well...

No. It's not possible. System resources (besides RAM) are fixed and are a function of what is installed on the logic board.

Even if it were possible (which it most definitely is not) the speed would be god-awful. Accessing a HDD for VRAM or system cache would be incredibly slow compared to the stuff on the logic board. Even RAM is insanely quick compared with when you have to swap to the HDD.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Sorry, to clarify: for VRAM, I meant virtual, not video. I meant that I would prefer the RAID handle all the RAM swapping and cacheing that is currently being done on the system disk...

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
disconap said:

if you're asking whether it's possible to configure OSX to use a specific partition for swap files, then yes, it is possible, though it involves hacking the OS at the UNIX level and is thus not for the faint of heart.

if you just want to create a scratch disk for Illustrator/PS, that's pretty easy. Just create a separate partition on your HD, and go into Illustrator/PS preferences and select that partition as the primary scratch disk. I've had my system set up this way for years. I believe the rule is to make the partition 1.5 times the size of your installed RAM. If you have 1GB of RAM, make the the partition 1.5GB, etc...

Attachments

• Pic.png
    Pic.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 124

disconap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
I am no stranger to Unix, and yes, that is exactly what I am talking about (the RAID is already set for CS2 scratch, now I want to add the system scratch to it as well). That article is great, I will play with it soon. Thanks. :)

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
disconap said:
I am no stranger to Unix, and yes, that is exactly what I am talking about (the RAID is already set for CS2 scratch, now I want to add the system scratch to it as well). That article is great, I will play with it soon. Thanks. :)

no problem
best of luck :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.