Remade site, Google re-cache?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jamesmcd, Oct 26, 2006.

1. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Hey All,

I have completely re-made a site, and on this site is a google search entry.

The problem, is that the searching doesn't work because Google appears to still only have the old Cache, which is completely out of date now.

Is there a way to tell google to re-cache my site? Or does google do this once a month or something.

Cheers.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

AFAIK, they'll do it automatically. Just give it time.

jW

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yeah, I don't think really have any control over when it gets re-crawled, but it shouldn't be more than 1-2 weeks.

4. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

The frequency with which Google indexes sites seems to be subject to a large number of variables, including popularity and the frequency of the content being updated. Some get indexed daily, others not for months at a stretch.

If you have access to the server logs you can check to see how often and to what degree the Googlebot has historically crawled the site.

[edit] just to clarify - by updated content, I mean the frequency with which the content changes. If Google stops by to index a site three times in a month and it hasn't been modified, it seems to learn to not bother coming back to re-index for a while. A big update might improve future indexing frequency, but if it's been a while since the previous change, then Google might take a while to come back to find out about it.

5. jamesmcd thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Hmm I see.

Well the site is used quite a bit, and the update was huge. Changed heaps.

I published the update about 4 days ago, so it hasn't been the suggested 1-2 weeks yet. Will have to wait and see, and I'll say on here when it gets updated for reference.

Cheers.

6. jamesmcd thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Ok.

It has updated on Google, and took 14 days. Just letting people know.