Remark About Gays Shadows St. Pat's Parade

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Mar 17, 2006.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- it's so nice to be universally hated, and so fun. This is a shame.

NEW YORK - Protesters joined bagpipers, marching bands and thousands of flag-waving spectators at the St. Patrick's Day parade Friday after the parade's chairman compared gay Irish-American activists to neo-Nazis, the Ku Klux Klan and prostitutes.

As huge, happy crowds lined the streets, the chairman, John Dunleavy, sidestepped questions about his remarks to The Irish Times.

"Today is St. Patrick's Day. We celebrate our faith and heritage, everything else is secondary," he said before the start of the Fifth Avenue parade.

Dunleavy set off a firestorm this week when he told the newspaper: "If an Israeli group wants to march in New York, do you allow Neo-Nazis into their parade? If African Americans are marching in Harlem, do they have to let the Ku Klux Klan into their parade?"

Referring to the Irish Lesbian and Gay Organization, Dunleavy said, "People have rights. If we let the ILGO in, is it the Irish Prostitute Association next?"

On Thursday, Christine Quinn, the City Council's first openly gay leader, blasted Dunleavy for the comments. Quinn, who is Irish, declined to participate in the parade after organizers barred an Irish gay and lesbian group from marching under its own banner for a 16th straight year.

http://my.earthlink.net/article/nat?guid=20060317/441a4250_3ca6_1552620060317491774144

2. aquajet macrumors 68020

So -- is Dunleavy suggesting the ILGO wants to terrorize and murder other Irish people? :confused:

Sheesh lee, your last few posts really got me down... :(

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry man- but it's reality. :( And yes, it would appear that that's what he's suggesting.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

There is a place and time for everything, I know the gays want to push the agenda everywhere but lets have a little class and taste, St pattys days is about a saint, it aint about pushing whatever agenda a group may have. Its a celebration about St Patrick and being Irish, its not a place to push look at me im a fag, or look at me im a animal rights group,or look at me im a heterosexual, or any other special interests.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Thanks for your input DHM. I appreciate the language too. Sorry we're so pushy. We'll all just go jump back in the closet now. Happy?

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thats not what i ment, if you want be gay be gay but there is a time and place for everything, just like the idiots who are going to soldier funerals and protesting???No class, no idea whats proper and what isnt. Im not catholic but i guess being a Saint ment something hence St pattys day. Sorry for the bluntness but you can be gay without throwing it into everyones face.

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You're entitled to your opinion. But I also think Dunleavy's comments were classless and improper. I mean really- comparing gays to neo-nazis, the Klan and prostitution? And that's what this thread is about anyway- his comments.

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

And the GLBT's didn't want to take over the parade, they just wanted a spot in it, that's not asking for much.

e

9. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, I don't necessarily have a problem with them wanting to keep the parade apolitical, what I have a problem with were Dunleavy's comments.

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well first of all, Dunleavy's comments are moronic - the analogies are quite bad.

Since Dunleavy seems to suggest that the ILGO is actively persecuting the Irish, I am left to figure out why.

The only thing I can come up with is that the Irish (as Dunleavy see them) are a Conservative and Catholic entity, and that homosexuality within the ranks, threatens that identity.

Perhaps (somewhat ironically), being a persecuted minority themselves for so long, some Irish feel very protective of their identity even to the point of intolerance themselves.

I do not mean to speak for the Irish as a whole - this is just speculation.

Funny ol' world...

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

perhaps indeed

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, you could be right about that.

Let me just say this:

Dunleavy had absolutely no cause to compare gays to The Klan, prostitutes, or Neo-Nazis. Christine Quinn did the right thing. Why should she want to be part of something run by such an ignorant fool? She didn't sit still for that abuse. She shouldn't have to. Nor will I. Would any of you?

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmm... the Minutemen were just denied entry into a parade in Southern California. The parade organizers wanted to keep their parade 'apolitical' and on that basis were able to deny the Minutemen entry into their parade.

So while I sympathize with the homos here on the issue of acceptance, I don't want people forced to admit anyone to their parade that they don't want.

Would those of you who are gay be OK with it if you were forced to allow the Phelps family and their signs into gay pride parades?

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Mac- this thread isn't about whether or not gays should be allowed in the parade. It's about Dunleavy's comments. Let's keep it on topic.

I have no problem with them not being able to march.