Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevento

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2006
Los Angeles
ok, i know you guys have all the inside info on when the remastered version of apple products are coming out is on the way, so whaddya think?
anytime soon?

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
September '08 or January '09. But the 8gb will be discontinued sometime next year and the 16gb will start selling at the price of the 8gb. I'm pretty tight with the big SJ.

forrestmc4

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Washington, DC
Disclaimer: These are just the musings of a long-time Apple-watcher.

It is unlikely that the Touch will see anything more than a capacity upgrade in the near future. Its current, intentionally limited features are meant to delicately balance it between the iPod and iPhone lines and major changes to the Touch alone would almost certainly create feature imbalance. It does not appear that el Jobso wants to reinvent the Touch anytime soon. Too many PDA-like improvements that many on these forums yap in favor of could jeopardize iPhone sales. On the iPod front, what more can you do to the Touch aside from say a video download store? I wager that the Touch is kicking ass in its target market: Customers seeking an iPod with a bigger screen and Wi-Fi connectivity without the shackles of the iPhone and AT&T. (Sure the iPhone can be unlocked but the average consumer doesn't want to deal with that.)

However, if by "remastered" you mean minor capacity bump, I wouldn't be surprised to see that during the MW keynote.

stevento

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2006
Los Angeles
September '08 or January '09. But the 8gb will be discontinued sometime next year and the 16gb will start selling at the price of the 8gb. I'm pretty tight with the big SJ.

you know steve jobs?

really what i'm concerned about is battery life mostly. not even screen quality.

Draythor

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Exeter University, UK
you know steve jobs?

really what i'm concerned about is battery life mostly. not even screen quality.

No he's using a far to over-used weapon in these forums: Sarcasm.
Battery life will likely be increased in the next major revision, the common belief is the one above. This of course is based on previous update history.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Disclaimer: These are just the musings of a long-time Apple-watcher.

It is unlikely that the Touch will see anything more than a capacity upgrade in the near future. Its current, intentionally limited features are meant to delicately balance it between the iPod and iPhone lines and major changes to the Touch alone would almost certainly create feature imbalance. It does not appear that el Jobso wants to reinvent the Touch anytime soon. Too many PDA-like improvements that many on these forums yap in favor of could jeopardize iPhone sales. On the iPod front, what more can you do to the Touch aside from say a video download store? I wager that the Touch is kicking ass in its target market: Customers seeking an iPod with a bigger screen and Wi-Fi connectivity without the shackles of the iPhone and AT&T. (Sure the iPhone can be unlocked but the average consumer doesn't want to deal with that.)

However, if by "remastered" you mean minor capacity bump, I wouldn't be surprised to see that during the MW keynote.

I don't think that 16gb flash chips are ready for mass market yet (the current 16gb touch uses 2x8gb chips, so I assume a larger model would use 2x16gb chips, unless they redesign it to accommodate 4 flash modules). I don't think we'll see a price drop either, since the iPod like is priced pretty tight right now... nano at $150/200, classic at $250/350, touch at $300/400. There's not much they could do with pricing that wouldn't throw off the rest of the iPod line. Except maybe drop the 8gb model and price the 16gb at $350. That's possible, I suppose, but doesn't seem likely.

I think the only announcements we'll see at MW regarding the touch will be software related. Apple will announce some new applications will be added in the next firmware update, software (probably games to start) will be available to buy through iTunes (I'd expect that they will make the mobile iTMS compatible with this feature, but it won't go live for a bit). I have a feeling they will break down and add some of the iPhone "exclusive" features, like Mail and Notes. But, they'll upgrade the iPhone Mail and Notes applications to add some new features, etc. Maybe add a new iPhone application as well to keep its edge (I'm thinking a mobile version of QuickView - open and read almost any file on the go).

Anyways, that's just my guess based on long time observation of Apple and the state of the tech market at the moment. I'm sure that later in '08 the touch will get a small hardware bump. Brighter/better screen, better battery, 16/32gb models, that sort of thing but it won't be until after the Back to School promo ends in '08.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.