Remeber When,....

Discussion in 'Games' started by Macamus Prime, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

This thread was inspired by this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=147873

Remeber when,...

- You had to blow into your NES carts when they would not work?

- Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, B, A was almost an industry standard cheat code?

- Blast Processing was suppose to be a selling point?

- You hopped into the shoe from Super Marios Bros. 3 WITH a Fire Flower power-up and felt like a GOD?

- Something the size of a brick was considered to be "portable" gaming?

- The Hoth flying stages in SNES Super Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back was the the greatest thing you ever played in a Star Wars game?

- Duke Nukem was a significant rival to Doom & Quake?

OK, some of these are already out there (Im sure someone will link a website with this stuff), but feel free to add your own.

Have fun!

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

who has to remember ;) my NES has been plugged into a number of TV sets in my room for decades. blowing in the cart is common, hell! even GB/GBC carts need blowing from time to time. brilliant stuff

my parents actually got me a NES Cleaning kit way back.
    as for your Duke comment :eek: hopefully Duke Forever will reclaim the FPS (or share) crown. it just had this story and felt more busy than Doom or Quake. more like you were playing a film (maybe it was the voice or the constant action scenes).

heres two which really make me sound old but...

- remember when playing games was actually fun?

- remember when game soundtracks were good?

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

a bit of WD-40 makes the blowing in NES carts a lot less frequent. My nes still works, just the carraige for the carts is kinda broken.

I think that cheat code was standard on all Konami games.

I still play with my NES sometimes. I don't get into modern games much but I can have some fun with the odl stuff. If the controls were as good as the real system, emulators would be even better because you can save and come back to any point in the game.

4. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

yea i remember that code for contra it was for extea lives but for the life of me i cant remember for how many.yea the code for 2 players to have extra lives was the same but u hit select start after the b,a,b,a. man them was the good ole days.yea i remember blowing out the cartrige to get the nes to work or when you are in the middle of the game about to beat boss 5 and then it would start to do the on off thing. i still have all my atari systems including the jaguar, intelivision, commadore 64,game boy, nes, snes, psx, game@com, saturn, dreamcast<-- still play this online, xbox, pc, mac. yea i wish they would bring out duke nukem foreveri remember reading about that game in the 1998 pc accelarator magazine sorry for the bad spelling along with halo witch was supose to be a stratigy game then a 3rd person type of game then halo as we know it. i liked shadow warrior it was almost the same a duke nukem it used the same build engine.i still remember the d&d for the apple IIc i think it was

5. Macamus Prime thread starter macrumors regular

Here is a good one:

Remeber when the raunchest thing in a video game was Elexis Sinclair masturbating in a bathtub?

http://sinclair.ytmnd.com/

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Was 40 extra lives if I'm not mistaken.

7. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Remember...

How many hours you could spend looking at a screen trying desperately to figure out what part of the displayed picture was an item you needed or a door or something to move on.

Thinking you could find Minus World glitches in other games and spending hours running into walls trying to find them.

Games that were a challenge to complete.

Those wonderful "WTF?" games (Mappyland comes to mind).

Wanting to play a specific level in a game w/o passwords and having someone else play to it since you were sick of it (Death Star Trench in SW, anyone?).

Glorious 8-bit music.

When Donkey Kong Country was the most amazing looking game you'd ever seen.

That damn laughing mutt in Duck Hunt.

The Powerbook-sized Turbo controller for NES.

Being so jealous your friend had a super NES.

8. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

my god does this ever bring back memorys.man i loved playing road rash 2 for the genesis i still remember the code to get the fastest bike in the game with unlimited nitro's it was either hold right a,c, and start or was it up a,c and start but it rocked and i found a flaw in the game that when ur bike was going to blow up if it was in the right posision u can run back and drag the bike with u to get to any thing u bump off of like rocks well get the bike close to it when u touch the bike it exploded and u flew back and if u did it right u would land on the rock and glitch and u would be on your bike again but if u wreck
    again you will be flying all the way back to the starting line but flying back about 500 to 1000 mph it was very funny to watch expexialy when u have the code bike on

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I remember reading an article somewhat recently that talked about how trying to replay the NES music on modern hardware was futile... something about how it was all digital so used square sound waves or something and how the composers used this to their advantage somehow and replicating it on modern hardware was no good...

There was no point to that, I just found it interesting. :)

10. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Crazy... But square sound waves? mmm, maybe not...

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Heck yeah! Apparently I wasn't the only one :D

12. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Funny how the more advanced technology gets, the harder it becomes to emulate/replicate the preceding technology. ;)

13. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

-Remember when video games didn't make you dizzy?

-Remember when you played a multiplayer game the people you were playing with were actually in the same room as you?

14. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

*sniff* wish I still had my old NES system and the games :( *sniff*

15. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well the actual sound waves weren't square of course, but the chip that generated the sounds was all digital and had a limited number of frequencies it could create, etc. I can't explain this properly... I will try and find the article. :eek:

16. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Or when you would've given more for access to a Magic Flute or Piece of Heart than a rocket launcher. :D

17. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

But we have been there for the bad times.

- Level 8 on Super Mario with that huge jump with that one landing about the size of a nickle before another monsterous jump.

- Dying in Contra on the last level. (By getting shot so HARD your body fliped then exploded, this happened if ANYTHING hit you)

- "My Power Glove is not respond right! I'm the Wizard damnit!"

- Captain N was on instead of Zelda.

- "Stupid dog laugh at me!" *wastes all three rounds shooting at dog while ducks fly away just to have him laugh at you again.

- "I'm out of Zelda cereal and I'm really not in the mood for Mario Cereal."

- "I blew in the cartridge and moved it left to right while in there and its still not working!"

- Spending the better part of a half hour trying to kill the one bat on my Zelda game watch.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

oooh the bad times.

The Commodore Amiga would take about 15 minutes to load up some games like Rise of the Robots. to watch the cut scene you needed to insert discs 1-7 over a period of a day. was a phenomenally beautiful animation though.

I think this is why i still play cart games more than any other format. i hate loading. its so 1980's.

19. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Hehe, I had a cousin with an Apple II and had two floppy drives! We could the next disc in while playing and keep swapping the older disc for a newer one while the game was reading from the one in between! T'was truly amazing!

I'm with you on cart games, except for the expense :(. The 8cm GC games aren't TOO bad for load times, though.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

yea the GC just gets away with it. you can really play a jolly game of spot the load times in Metroid Prime and Windwaker.
    im just a little worried that with all these HD graphics coming out and stupidly silly numbers of textures and polygons that load times are going to increase. especially with the Xbox 360 using a 16x DVD rom drive.

21. katchow macrumors 6502

try a tape drive (good ol cassette tapes, press play now) on th c64...took about 10 minutes to load Caverns of Khafka :)

22. katchow macrumors 6502

anyone remember the secret "black dot" on atari's adventure?

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

of course the tape drive. my earliest memories of games were of Ghostbusters on the Spectrum. and another unknown platformer that i still cant remember.
    but NOTHING compared to Rise of the Robots load times.

hah. i remember my cousin had to show me how to play a game on the Spectrum. Load *.* or something. and those codes you could enter to load fancy screensavers.

This should get this threads fans smiling ;) greatest thing on the internet i say

24. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

25. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I had colecovison...still have nes with about 10 games... took it apart (serious cleaning issues) and now it doesn't work :(
    I remember superman on atari too...
    and who can forget: "all your base are belong to us" ;)