Remember Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, May 29, 2004.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...30.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/05/30/ixnewstop.html

A template for the "New Iraq"?

2. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

3. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

But you should expect America to leave a nation which they have invaded, ten thousand of whose citizens they have killed, and whose regime they have replaced with their own puppet government, in a better state than they found it in. The US has been as unprincipled here as in Iraq. They set up the Taleban, they set up Bin Laden, they reaped the result.

4. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

No but we should expect the US not to do a half ass job before moving on...oh wait....sorry this is the Bush admin we are talking about. Look we went into Afgan to f up al queda and get Bin Laden. Once that was done instead of creating a stable environment we turned our empire building eye onto iraq and lost interest. Period.

We invaded October, 2001. Less then 17 months later they invaded Iraq. We didn't stablize the area, and we didn't provide the aid and the tools to rebuild Afgan before we left and that is OUR fault not theirs. We left the environment open for the Taliban to return. The US has a KNOWN history of doing this: Leaving jobs unfinished. DO NOT blame the inhabitants of Afgan for our f ups.

You are right it isn't. It would have been a colony an occupied nation if we hadn't lost interest. We are doing a fine job at following in the footsteps of the Roman Empire. All hail the American Empire.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i see sly's drinking the funny juice again. odd how he says pulling out of iraq would be irresponsible, but when it was done if afghanistan, it's different.

<stoppard>
    consistency is all i ask!
    </stoppard>

6. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Now, come on! Don't diss the Romans. At least they knew what they were doing!

7. dopefiend macrumors 6502

If only people could take care of themselves....(and I'm not talking Americans here)

8. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

I guess it's "different strokes for different folks".

9. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

If only they were allowed to...

10. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Uh...They are.

And yet, they continue to riot and fight each other over religions and such.

11. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

And we civilized people don't?

12. dopefiend macrumors 6502

***looks casually around America***

Nope, no religious rioting and suicide bombers originating from my country.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

someone is one step closer to my ignore list...

14. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

What did I say? :eek:

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it was:
    since you don't live here, and we're so awesome, you have no right to pass judgement. we saved you (sic) ass in WWII!!!!

</silliness>

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The US is in a no win situation in this regard. If they put Afghanistan and Iraq under strict military control, establish order, and lay the foundations for a new government (obviously w/input from the locals) they get slammed for being imperialists and not letting the locals govern themselves.

If they try and stay more "hands-off" and let the locals have the reins <sp?> they get slammed for not doing enough.

-Lethal

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the iraqi and afghani situations are too complex to apply the same solution.

for two years now, karzai has been pleading to the world for more aid and more int'l workers. when the US turned its attention to iraq, the security situation deteriorated quickly. you talk of the extremes, but wrt afghanistan, they've been asking for more US intervention.

we invaded, blew up a few things, then left a power vacuum. exactly what bush said would not happen. once again, the people of afghanistan are screwed by a foreign power. yes, they'd love to self-govern, but they don't have the tools.

18. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hm in 1945 austria was split in 4 zones 1 ruled by americans 1 by british,1 by french and 1 by soviets....
    guess _in which_ zone the first free election took place for (local)representatives of the austrians ?

yes... it really was in the soviet controlled zone .. the election took place in november 1945 .... thats a few _months_ after the end of ww2
    it took another 2 years for the first elections in the american, british or french zone .....

so i'm not surprised that there is no election on the way... can anybody remember after which conflict the US handed back the control over a country fast ... ?

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm gonna be a dick since we don't disagree very often. Afghan is the adjective for describing something or someone pertaining to Afghanistan.

Pakistan is Pakistani, Iraq is Iraqi, but Afghanistan is Afghan.

WRT the Afghan and Iraqi situations, I think we'd be a lot better off if we'd had plans that didn't default to "we'll remove the current government and the people will naturally thank us and set up a peaceful democracy with little trouble."

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

guns at dawn

21. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Now we know what the "v" in "Zimv" stands for! :D

Actually, since we're all being dicks here:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=afghani

:cool:

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I use the CIA World FactBook and AP rules. The CIA is never wrong. Conveniently ignored, yes.

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I don't have one.

And suddenly I totally see things Frohickey's way.

24. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Party-pooper! :D

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

:)