Remember, I don't tow the party line

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Mar 7, 2006.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Yes, Peter Biondi is a Republican. Yes, I am a Republican. I think the bill is wrong. I think that Mr. Biondi should be voted out by his constituency. I know that there are bigger issues out there. I don't care. I don't like him and I hope the only person to vote for him is himself. Loser.:mad: Was any of that defamatory?:p

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

3. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Well, I'll be....we agree on something. This has to be one of the first times...ever.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Haha.

I was just reading the Slashdot thread on this and it connected the dots for me on something.

Last weekend I drove through Jersey on my way to Staten Island and I filled up with diesel because it was 30¢ cheaper/gallon than in PA. I was wondering why the attendant was so eager to help me with the refueling process (though I did most everything myself, he screwed the cap and closed the flap) until I read the post where the guy points out the fact that it's still illegal to pump your own gas (diesel is exempt) in New Jersey.

WTF, NJ?

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Oregon is the other state with this policy. People seem to like it. I never got comfortable with it.

Reminds me of driving in WA and CA though, where I'd see cars with Oregon plates just sitting at the pumps waiting for an attendant which was never coming...too funny.

BTW, as to the original topic - sheer lunacy.

6. tristan macrumors 6502a

Don't be stupid - posts like that will get you and MacRumors sued for defamation.

Oops, I just called you stupid - now I'm going to get sued. Man, am I an idiot.

Hey, I just called myself an idiot on this board! I'm going to sue this board for defamation!

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I demand that arn release to me your real name and address immediately!!

8. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I take offense to that idea. I feel defamed and hurt. I hereby demand you release to me your contact information so I can file the following damages against you:

Therapy - $407,000
    Damage to Reputation - $5,777,000
    Punitive Damages - $115,331,000
    Internet Access - $42.95

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I do disagree with your incorrect usage of the idiom "toe the line" so all is not lost yet.

10. aquajet macrumors 68020

Have you thought this through, pseudobrit? I don't think you have, because you're sounding utterly ridiculous -- yet again.

This is a perfectly acceptable policy decision, and I applaud Peter Biondi for taking the necessary steps to ensure this country remains safe.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

12. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

I think the history behind that law is the need to stop people from filling and running.

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Back in 1949?

14. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Maybe the party is a canal barge. Or maybe they're doing some caulking.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

"The page cannot be found."

What is this story about, anyway?

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I feel better not knowing what this was about if this isn't even on IJ's radar.

Here.

It appears that a legislator from NJ wants a law that requires owners of forums, blogging sites, and so on, to be responsible for having accurate real name and physical address info on anyone who posts to their sites.

Astonishingly, he doesn't even seem to couch this in physical / public health safety terms, related to investigations of crime, and so on, but purely in that people log on to boards anonymously in his district and state that they feel he is an incompetent legislator.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Thanks. I don't suppose one nutty legislator from New Jersey can do much real harm.

Still trying to figure out what this has to do with pumping your own gas...

19. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

The connection, however tenous and circumspect, is that that New Jersey is a strange state filled with strange people, laws and policies (eg: nutty legislator(s), weird policy mandating full-service gas service)

Or perhaps you were being rhetorical...

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I grew up in New Jersey, so I don't know whether I should be offended by this characterization or complemented. New Jersey is a little different, I'll grant you that. Most people didn't appreciate how different until "The Sopranos" made it big.