remember that tie thing? article claims minorities digitally added to video

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by zimv20, May 30, 2003.

1. macrumors 601

zimv20

link

fwiw, this is the first i've seen this site. i cannot attest to its accuracy.

2. macrumors 6502

WTF??

If this is true....

how does anyone get away with something like this?

How is it that the tv media dont have their own camera's there, or at least their own reporters who would say that the footage is bogus?

I'm still finding it very hard to believe that even a politician would do something like this.

What's the reliablility of the source?

3. macrumors 6502

I can't believe this. If it were true, things are getting spooky and it would mean that your president might actually be a real baboon with an actor composited on top of him. Makes sense..

4. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

This is getting really scary. When is the media going to be forced to alter their video and photos of the prez to reflect his ideals?

Along with that Made in Canada movie of 9-11 glorifying him, this is too much. Where will it end?

5. thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

6. macrumors 6502

7. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

See, you guys took it as literal, at least partially. And, it was a flat out lie. That happens a lot in the media towards both parties, and it is wrong.

Damn wrong. Example. What happened to Gary Hart. I thought the man would have made a great president. Nothing was actually known, but we all know about "Monkey Business".

8. thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

it wasn't a lie, really, it was a prank. like when the chinese press picked up that onion report on congress demanding a retractable dome.

9. macrumors 6502

What do you mean "See" ? Are you trying to finish a point that you made somewhere else?

What do you mean with us taking it literally? Did we say we believed this?

I do get your point about being manipulated easily by the media, it happens to all of us. I did not see that happening here though.

10. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong about the facts here, but here is my understanding. Hart was asked if he was having an affair. He denied it, and then dared reporters to follow him around so that they would see he was telling the truth. Reporters then caught him, with his mistress, on a yacht named "Monkey Business."

IMO, an affair does not mean that someone can not be a great president. However, if the way I understand the Hart situation is correct, he really has no one but himself to blame for that one.

11. macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

how could you NOT know it was fake. the bit about flossing from the spare thread from the SOCK. comeon.

12. macrumors member

You might NOT know it was fake if either:
    (1) You are a totally gullible idiot or (2) you want it to be true so badly that you suspended all semblance of rational thought for the duration of evaluating the article. In this case, the latter alternative is by far the most likely one.

It really is scary to think that someone's political views can so totally blind them that they think such a story is true. However, when it fits the fantasy, it will be believed, just like some Arab papers print that Jews drink human blood in their religious ceremonies.

13. macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hey the Chinese government bought into an Onion article about the US moving its capitol from DC to some other location, it was a big misunderstanding.

14. thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

holy cow, you guys, thanks for the bashing. can we review a few things said in the thread before it was known to be fake?

first, examine the thread title: "article claims." now let's look at a few select quotes:

"i cannot attest to its accuracy."
    "What's the reliablility of the source?"
    "I'm still finding it very hard to believe"
    "I can't believe this."

looks like a healthy dose of skepticism to me. way to distort.

15. macrumors member

Here's another couple of select quotes.
    "This is getting really scary."
    "Where will it end"

Even a tiny bit of common sense would have allowed you and anyone else to attest to its inaccuracy upon a first reading, and either post it with the notation that it was a joke or not post it at all.

This thread doesn't reflect skepticism, it reflects gullibility.

16. thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

yes. i'm completely lacking in common sense. thanks for pointing that out. :rolleyes:

the website in question, on the following day, posted that it was a hoax. i wasn't hiding anything.