Remember the First Time You Used a Mac?

Discussion in 'Community' started by donigian, Jun 5, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

Does anyone else remember the first time they used a Mac? Care to share your story?

My first experience was with a PM 5260/100 at school. It was pretty cool as it was the first "real" computer I used with a GUI. It has really sparked a love for the Macintosh in me.

Please, share.

2. macrumors 68040

tazo

i used those apples that had the 5.25'' floppy disks, i played number crunchers or munchers on them. that was at least 7 years ago.

3. pEZ
    macrumors 6502

My family bought an Apple II GS when I was 4 or 5, somewhere abouts 1988. I loved that computer, long since dead, but now I emulate it on my iMac now. Kinda funny playing Gold Rush or King's Quest 1 or Pirates on OS X.

Guilt free in 2003.

4. macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

1987ish?

It was either 1987 or '88, my uncle gave us his old 512K mac...no HD, two 800kb floppies...i used to play a mean game of harrier strike mission on that thing...it ran up until a few years ago when it totally died. my first apple was probably around the same time, my dad brought an apple IIc home from work

5. macrumors 603

shadowfax

i vaguely remember some cheesy math games at school in say 3rd, or probably 4th grade, but most of all i remember either system 7 or OS 8 or whatever it was in the mac room at my high school. those things pissed me off so much. the little puzzle games were great fun though. i wish i could go back and mess with one now they are gone. i never touched one after i converted to macs last november. it would be funny to see what i thought now.

6. Guest

caveman_uk

I used one during my PhD so that would be in 1991-4. IIRC it was a Mac Classic of some description probably a classic II. It wasn't mine - it was my tutors. Then it was a long gap until last year when I wanted a Unix laptop - enter the ibook and our first meeting in a Apple reseller in Melbourne, Australia whilst on holiday.;)

7. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

i remember in elementary school my school had some pretty old apple computers. i think they were Apple II's. not sure though. and then in like 2nd grade every classroom got a few Macintosh LC's. Don't know what OS it was though. But, I do remember using some sort of educational program called 'Learning Expedition'.

Those are my earliest memories. But, they are good ones! :D

8. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The days of the floppy shuffle and nine inch screen.

Oh joy...

9. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

In 83 there was a computer show at my school and they had a bunch of Lisa's there. I remember them as being a bit weird and way too pricey. But the whole windows and mouse thing was very cool and I'd never seen that before.

I also really hadn't had that much computer exposure and didn't get my first mac until 12 years later....;)

D

10. macrumors regular

Oregon Trail

The first time I used a Mac was in 6th grade (roughly 87) . In our class we had a few macs and we always played "Oregon Trail" and "Where in the world is Carman San Diego".. I didn't buy a Mac until 2001.

11. macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Don't remember the model, all-in-one had about a 9" monochrome screen.

Played PT 109 on it. I think that was 1986ish. Before the PC had games or decent graphics.

12. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

It was sometime back in the fall of '96, in my first computer graphic design class. We were using 7200's, right before the G3 debut.

I then got my first Mac soon after, a Motorola Starmax 3000/160 (clone). :D

13. macrumors regular

My first apple was an Apple II, bought by my parents. My first mac was a Mac Classic, bought by my older brother.

14. macrumors regular

Macintosh IIcx, somewhere around 1988, my dad used to host a BBS (I'm sure some people here still remember those) on it so it was up 24/7 and believe it or not the thing STILL runs.
    The only problem he's ever had with it is the floppy dirve went bad on it a few years back!

That Mac is the reason I'm an Apple fanatic

15. macrumors regular

It was spring 1984. I was over a friend's house and we getting ready to play D&D. The gamemaster, a coder, had prepared materials for us to read but didn't have time to print them out so he let us sit down at his Mac 128 and read the files. I remember distinctly not wanting to play D&D anymore and really wanting to explore this little box.

16. macrumors 65816

Apparently, when I was really young (and I mean young) my Dad took me into his work, which was an Apple computer training centre, and let me play on one of the Macs.

Since then, my direct family have been Mac users at home (and PCs at work).

17. macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I believe I was using a top of the line 386DX2 with 16MB of RAM (!!!!) and windows 3.1, when I first saw a Mac. I was like " bah humbug, rabble, rabble, rabble!". But once my friends left the computer lab, I peeked around, no one was there, hugged it and kissed the side of the screen "oh thank you!". there might have been a little hump at the end of that hug, but anyway... They couldn't beat me off that Mac with a club, for the rest of the semester... :D

Oh, it was this one.

18. macrumors regular

Well... Like most people my age, we had apple IIs in my school, and I remember using PrintMaster to make banners and crap like that. It was so cool becasue you just stuck the disks in and the program started. I remember being able to tell the old computers from the new ones because the newer ones had 3 1/2in disk drives. We also had, IIRC, Imagewriter printers. Man those things were slow, but they were so cool at the time.
    My fist mac was at my sister highschool. I was there for a mock wedding, and I was sitting in the waiting room, and I saw this computer with a one button mouse, and I played around a little. It was neat, but I remember being afraid someone would see me playing with it, so I stopped. It must have been in like 92 or 93, so I dunno what kind it was. I know it wasnt a classic.

That experience must have stuck with me enough to want to buy a mac...

19. macrumors P6

wdlove

Purchased my first in 1983, it was a Apple IIE. The monitor was 8" with a black background and green font. It used a floppy disk for backups. The only program that I can remember using was Home Accountant. It was frustrating at times because you couldn't see into the different layers of the program.

20. macrumors regular

A long long time ago...

It must have been close to 20 years ago (in 1983, 1984 or 1985, ok maybe 16 or 17 years.) Can't remember exactly, but I was in the early years of elementary, and I do remember programming with that logo/turtle program that looked like a triangle. :)

"Goto left 10"

21. Guest

First Apple, Powerbook Pismo

My first Apple was the Powerbook Pismo some 3 years ago. Came with OS 9 which I totally hated. For the longest time I thought I flushed 2500$ down the toilet when I bought it. I used the book at school when I absolutely had to but stuck with my PC at home with the book collecting dust in a corner most of the time. It was pathetic. Unstable as hell (bombs everywhere). Office was a shame, it didn't do DivX etc etc etc. and it was too damn slow.
    Then OS 10.1 came out along with Office v. X and Photoshop 7 plus DivX in the course of the last 1 1/2 years and I was finally falling in love with the Mac. Now with a 900MHz G3 upgrade for the Pismo and OS 10.2 its my main machine and the PC got sold on eBay, along with the OS 9 CDs (I don't miss that ****ty OS one bit).
    Cheers,

Ahmed

22. macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

First Apple computer I used (not a mac) was an Apple IIgs in 1989. I was in kindergarten and used to play some education game that involved the muppets, I loved it.

23. macrumors 65816

vollspacken

my dad brought home an old beaten IIci and a xerox laser printer... we went out to get a 14" display for that thing and the moment I switched that thing on I stopped using our PII...

vSpacken

24. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

My first mac experience was back in the fall of '94.(I was five) I was about six and my elementary school had old LC's I, II, and III's. I loved playing prince of persia on them. My first mac was back in '97( I was 7 or 8)...It was a old SE (With Mac OS 6.0.3) given to me by my father's friend who loves macs...Fell in love with them and will never go to a PC.
    :)

25. macrumors regular

First Apple was a Apple IIe in the fourth grade (let's see...1981). First mac was the original. My uncle was and still is an apple dealer, and he brought one of the floor models over to our house the first week the mac was introduced. I played a game called Transylvania all weekend. Good memories.