Remembering network settings after Tiger upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS' started by withnail, May 11, 2005.

1. withnail macrumors regular

Feb 8, 2003
    I am running a wireless router as my connection via my TiBook's AirPort card. The network is not broadcasting its SSID, and it is WEP protected. After upgrading to Tiger, my machine never re-connects to the network without me entering the network name and WEP key each time it wakes from sleep. That is, it forgets to look for my network. I have the information on my keychain and I think all the settings are correct via the Network item in System Preferences. It was fine before the upgrade. Any ideas???

2. withnail thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 8, 2003
    I think the KB article you posted was to reset an AirPort base if you lost the password or whatnot. Did i miss something else there? My problem isn't that I can't remember my WEP key, it's that my *computer* doesn't remember it, or to look for my network name (I looked, and it is in the keychain, however).

And my base is a Linksys, not an AirPort, BTW.

Thanks, though.
  3. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
  4. withnail thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 8, 2003
    The problem isn't that I don't know the WEP key.

For some reason, after up'ing to Tiger, the network prefs don't seem to be sticky. My network's ID is "foo", but I don't broadcast it. When I was using Panther, it would "remember" that foo was a trusted network, and try to connect to it first (even though it didn't "see" it), and supply the WEP key via the keychain entry. Now, even though there is a keychain item for the network and I have my Networking prefs set to "Automatic" ("AirPort remembers the networks this computer has joined. If none of the remembered networks are [sic] available, AirPort will automatically join an open network."), it never remembers this network. Since I don't broadcast the ID, it doesn't detect any AirPort networks. FWIW, i also tried to configure it to explicitly connect to my network, with no avail...

Maybe there's a pref file I need to blow away...?