Reminder of Reporting Posts

Discussion in 'Site News' started by arn, Mar 11, 2003.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

This was posted in response to this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=21998

----------------------------

I've said it before... but repeating it always seems necessary.

The forums are read by myself and the moderators at our convenience. Many threads are likely never read.

If you see behavior on this board you don't like - report it. If you don't report it, you are implying that you are ok with it.

Now, if you simply disagree with someone, then we aren't likely to do something. If people take it too far - with personal insults, imflammatory remarks or other items... those posts will get edited and the posters warned.

I don't know the situation with Medea... because to be honest, I don't read the political discussions... at all.

If it's simply a general anti-france sentiment -- posted in a reasonable/"disagree with their actions" manner -- then I'm afraid there's not much I can or will do about it. People are entitled to their opinions.

If the posts instead are riddled with comments like "france sucks" or generalizations about the french people... those posts will be edited/warned. Repeat offenders banned.

Again, I wouldn't know since I don't read the politicical forum. So, unless you report it... I don't know. I can't speak for the moderators. (note: someone just reported an imflammatory post, and it was edited appropriately)

If this continues to be a problem, the political forum will simply be shut down... as it is the most "contentious" forum of this site. I personally dislike the political discussions as there is no "right" side. Similarly, I refuse to have a Battlefront/Platform war forum for the same reason... a lot of wasted effort and time.

The site is first and formost a Mac site.

arn

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

That is fine and all but is there some reason threads were shot down...

Warcraft 3 Beta?

Uh.... :confused:

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I see no one care...

Must I open thread about the beta... :rolleyes:

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

amen arn! the political forum is a nice place to discuss this sort of thing, but if it's more problem than it's worth, we have to remember that this site is primarily for Mac stuff. I certainly don't want our community polluted by overzealousness and hatred... if this sort of thing continues to be a problem, i'll be the first to support cutting back on the extra forums. as MR grows, it's important to keep things under check...

so everyone, report those posts. or i'll come after you all myself... ;)

pnw

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

I had to report a post today, but it wasn't politically based, oddly enough. :)

I know it's tempting to go after the person offending another individual, but it's more intelligent to report it.

If someone steals your car, do you try to hunt down whoever did it and beat him up, resulting in the two of you being in more serious trouble, rather than just reporting the incident? Most "aware" individuals would inform a higher authority.

From what I've seen, up until the political rampage began, about a supermajority of blatant offending posts were reported. Now, with the political rampage running wild, it seems that this is no longer the case.

Personally, even though there is a lot more political discussion being generated in a negative fashion than other offending issues, I don't consider that an excuse to begin posting offending comments to another individual. Any excuse for posting something offensive or objectionable is a bad excuse, and any offensive or objectionable posts should be dealt with to a higher authority above all else.

If I ran these boards, and the issue of explicit/objectionable posts arised, I would put special emphasis on avoiding posting such material. The main reason for me to say this would not be from the rules of the forums, but from the individual. Even though one person may not be offended by a specifically addressed topic, another individual will become emotionally distraught and will take action that may be inappropriate. If you were to post something that is going to be offensive, you are not only violating forum rules, but, more importantly, you are violating the other individual.

If I ran these boards, I would also place a different emphasis on the use of reporting posts. Anyone offended by such material will take action, and there is the chance that the specific action is not appropriate on the forums. I feel the purpose of reporting posts is not to remove objectionable posts, but to protect the individual. And anyone who cares about the individual will not only refrain from posting offensive material, but also report objectionable posts whenever appropriate for the individual.

6. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

I have a few comments on this topic.

After I read Medea's thread I started scanning political threads occasionally, and have found that even after the closing/re-opening of the political forums people have not gotten the message. I have basically started moving threads to the close political forum (there is simply too much objectional material in most threads to edit/warn). Frankly I feel the political forum should be closed again — you gave peopela second chance and they abused it.

MrMacMan - Your posts have become increasingly rude. Even your post here is unnecessarily snotty. Perhaps this is why so many people ignore you or attack you. Rolling your eyes at people in every single post is not advisable. The Warcraft 3 beta thread was closed after several reported posts. The thread had degraded into a discussion on how to pirate software, steal/fake software keys, and hack your way into servers. This is not appropriate.

In addition to reporting posts you feel are inappropriate make sure that when you do report a post that you describe why you are reporting the post. In most cases I would hope that this would be obvious, however, I have read a number of reported posts lately that make absolutely no sense (one from King Cobra comes to mind). Please do not report posts because you simply disgaree with someone. When you do report a post make sure you give information as to why you are reporting it.

7. conceptdev macrumors regular

The number of threads that have degraded into name calling has diminished drastically, a tone of levity to the whole thing has been added by Alex_Ants HowTo guide. The number of posters has been whittled down and the exhanges can now actually be informative. I have seen one politically leaning thread spiral out of control and that was in the community discussion area.

8. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I disagree.
    First no one responded for a decent amount of time. Yeah I was annoyied, because I just wanted some screenshots and heck, why not try to get a 3-ed party peice of software on the mac? Are you so pro-blizzard that if I were to use a trainer of WCIII would you attack me on it?

I haven't seen people blatantly attacking me, if you have, I swear I haven't yet seen go personal on me.
    My posts are rude, yes, I am sarcastic, maybe too much, this is debatable at best.

Again if anyone sees a problem, why not post saying 'Don't pirate' or maybe 'We don't support 3ed party software!' I mean that is what it is.

Hacking your way into a server...? no.
    Stealing Cd-Keys... who am I gonna steal them from, you? do you have them, are you gonna allow me to take them from you? no.

And so far I've reported a person 1 time. woo, that was for a sick picture, if I dis-agree with someone I'm not gonna PM them to death hoping they look there.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Beside Spam, abusive posts, foul pictures, far from family friendly stuff, etc. I thought Pirating and similar topics were also on the To Be Reported list.

So why even bother telling someone not to do it?

10. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Idea?

Because:
    1) The thread didn't last that long, not many people saw/replyied to it.
    2) It was 9 months ago. If there was a thread about ___ and I was out for a day then i missed that.

Comeon just say 'No more talk of software that can give you enjoyment!... OR ELSE!'

That would tell me to shut up. Closing threads and such just because they have something to do with a 3ed party peice of software you may not like doesn't mean 'no explanation, this thread is closed' rule.

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

>Comeon just say 'No more talk of software that can give you enjoyment!... OR ELSE!'

>That would tell me to shut up.

I'll say it, just so you can read this post without saying anything afterwards.

No more talk of software that can give you enjoyment!... OR ELSE!

Also...

>Closing threads and such just because they have something to do with a 3ed party peice of software you may not like doesn't mean 'no explanation, this thread is closed' rule.

...just because a rule isn't emphasized, that isn't an excuse to use to get out of a situation. When you signed up for the boards, you agreed that you would follow the rules, whatever they may be. The rules have been there and will be there until this is specifically addressed.

But, above all else, YOU are responsible for complying with the rules of the forums, whether they are enforced or not. This is why many threads are closed without an explanation, because they are always in effect, and the user should be responsible enough to understand these rules.

Anyone in general (not you specifically, MacMan, but as a whole), who cannot take part in being responsible for the rules he agreed to will be asked to leave. Reminders are often helpful, though. :)

12. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah I take total offense to that because in most of your post you were addressing me directly and at the end you say 'not only for you macman' well thanks loads...

And I have yet to see a rule about 3-ed party software being bannished from macumors, because that is not true.

13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'd be a bit more careful in your posts. U have been treading lightly on the borderline of getting yourself into trouble and keeping out of it. Maybe u should consider being a bit less hostile in your approaches?

14. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Maybe, but if you were told 'were shutting you down' and you asked why and they refered you to some law passed 32 years ago that never made the headlines page, you would be pissed too...

draw that to what just happened to me. U (you) may be right I have been borderline hostile but all for good intentions.

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(MrMacman) Yeah I take total offense to that because in most of your post you were addressing me directly and at the end you say 'not only for you macman' well thanks loads...

I feel for you if you are offended by a correction to your statement "Closing threads and such just because they have something to do with a 3ed party peice of software you may not like doesn't mean 'no explanation, this thread is closed' rule."

As for the last paragraph, I intentionally made this a general statement, because you are the same as everyone else following the rules of the forums. They also are responsible, the same as you, and I made that very clear in the paragraph.

>And I have yet to see a rule about 3-ed party software being bannished from macumors, because that is not true.

Recall your previous statement made in this thread:

>Again if anyone sees a problem, why not post saying 'Don't pirate' or maybe 'We don't support 3ed party software!' I mean that is what it is.

There is a difference between "Third-party" software and "pirated software". Pirated software is any warez and is considered illegal in ALL cases. Third-party software is legal for use as long as no serial codes are shared, so it is ALWAYS considered legal. Pirating (stealing) software hacks for a third-party software app. is illegal, and such discussion/requests for piracy/warez of ANY kind is banned from Macrumors. That is the rule.

16. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Don't be overbearing towards me. I think everyone, everyone on these forums know what 'warez' are so don't dare, linking me to a definition.

If I was looking for warez I wouldn't look here, arn has made it one of his top priorities to make this site have free, and clean of all pictures of the latest safari build along with download links. He has taken this policy and also said no talking of warez, pirating, downloading, etc...

Did I ever ask for serial code? No. This Legit software doesn't by-pass blizzard, it goes onto there own, private server. Is there a problem with that? No.

When you get me worked up like that you get posts like these. I have a 100% chance of being flamed about this and sure enough someone will say I support pirating software, in which case I will be flamed untill i make a stupid post which gets me banned.
    Okay. There we go the chain of events has started.

Edit: Look for my PM cobra.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Hopefully the thread gets closed soon, looks like it could get quite ugly in here.

18. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

yeah this is getting quite lame...

I don't think anything will happen unless it's reported though...

19. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I don't understand why things break down so quickly. I would have thought this thread would contain a civil discussion about how everyone can help keep the boards from spiraling out of control. Guess I was wrong...

On another note, it seems that people would rather argue than most anything else. If I came to a point where I was completely fed up with the way this site is run I would leave and never come back, rather than check back all day. If anyone doesn't like it here, please don't ruin the experience for the rest of us. I love this community, but lately it's a little less fun.

This sorta reminds me of people who watch movies they hate so they can criticize the plot/actors/director.

Dan

20. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

It hasn't been easy for any of us. We mods have been shutting down threads & editing posts left and right all week...and it's not showing any sign of letting up. We even had to alleviate a situation by banning a member...twice. :rolleyes:

I think a lot of this is due to the war taking place and how everyone is wearing their feelings on their sleeves. It's not a happy time for this country, nor the rest of the world, but it shall pass eventually.

Just keep doing your part by making it as good as u can... ;)

21. pantagruel macrumors regular

i personally hope the war is over soon and things can go back to normal here, the forums seem overrun with political and war crap.:rolleyes:

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, if we can wrap it up by WWDC things will get very exciting for all the right reasons.

The war is a huge issue and hard not to discuss, hang in there.

D

23. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Here's a question about post reporting:

Would the mods prefer to get inundated with reports of "potential" flamebait, or just full blown instances?

I try to report ones that I think are headed in a bad direction, but if everyone starts trying to make a judgement call like that, you guys will never get through all the reports.