REMINDER: Spring forward your clocks tonight

Discussion in 'Community' started by Daveway, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I just wanted to make a friendly reminder to move your clocks ahead one hour tonight. I wouldn't want anyone to be too late for his/her activities tomorrow.

2. urban1985_ macrumors regular

You mean too late? If people don't move their clocks ahead, they'd be an hour late. And isn't it on the first Sunday of April?

3. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

I don't claim to be a genius, but I do believe tomorrow is the first Sunday of April. :rolleyes:

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is that for daylight saving? Here in Australia we went through all of that last weekend, I didn't realise everyone didn't do it at the same time.

Unfortunately, Macrumors hasn't quite kept up with what's happening and all the times on the forum are set to one hour later than they should be. Strangely, they were working fine last week until we had our titles changed back from those pirate names. That seems to be when things went a little pear-shaped. :(

Hopefully it'll all return to normal after the first Sunday of April (whenever that actually is, I'm betting right now.) ;)

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Will my Mac do it automatically for me? (DST that is)

6. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

In the US, daylight savings begins at 2:00 AM on the first sunday of April, each time zone separately. In the EU, daylight savings begins for all time zones in the EU (I think there are only two) at 1:00 AM GMT on the last Sunday in March. I don't know about anywhere else, but those are the only two that affect me.

EDIT: Some places in the US don't observe daylight savings. These places are: Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, most of the eastern time zone portion of Indiana, and Arizona (except for on the Navajo Indian Reservation). See here.

For everywhere else in the world, see here.

7. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

If your computer is set to automatically set time and date, it will automatically set it's time.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If your clock runs off the Apple server it will update or if you have your computer set for DST. I love this day, lose an hour of sleep but gain an hour of daylight. :)

9. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

I think I like DST more. That extra hour of sleep is soo sweet. (Hey that rhymed.)

10. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Why is the forum clock 1 hour behind my time (U.S. West Coast)? Shouldn't it be ahead of my current time since it's Spring Forward? It probably has to do with the server's location or something, maybe?....Do we have to change the time setting in the User CP?

:confused:

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I just posted about this but now it's fixed. :D Maybe you have to re-login or something?

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It will only update if you have it set to auto detect Daylight Savings Time.

13. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

14. kungpao macrumors newbie

first post

(Hi, this is my first post on macrumors. Just wanted to give it a shot.)

After reading the subject and very nearly started trying to figure out how to set my watch forward, until I realized I'm in China.

Not only is there no day light savings time, the entire country sits in a single time zone.

Life couldn't be simpler (unless you live in the far western region and have to get up in the middle of the night because it's 7:00 AM in Beijing.)

15. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

The clocks thing cost me to wake up at 2 PM today :eek:

16. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

So that means you intended on waking up at 1pm (but it was really 2pm) then? That's still pretty late :rolleyes: ;) :D

oh yeah, btw, the forum clock is fixed now for me :)