Remote Access a Windows Based System?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mediaprodguy, Oct 9, 2006.

1. mediaprodguy macrumors member

Sep 25, 2006
    So id really like to be able to remote access my pc at work using the and log in to my windows based machine at work...... i use the current version of the mac os

anyone solve this mystery and make it a reality?
  2. phuong macrumors 6502a

Aug 16, 2006
    it has nothing to do with the osx. all you have to do is config your windows box to accept web based remote control.
    but if your computer at work is behind some gateway/firewall/router... you have to ask the admin to forward the port to your computer
  3. SMM macrumors 65816

Sep 22, 2006
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    Your systems guys must first enable remote access and set-up the proper configuration, etc. The most common way of doing this is through Terminal Server, by 3rd party VPN, or Citrix Metaframe. There is an incredible amount of variation on how your work set-up may be configured for you to connect. It would be common practice for them to provide you with whatever set-up you need to do locally. Then, you can use any of the MS virtual options, or VPN client SW, to create a TS client. It should be easy to achieve this. Our company has 40-50 users who ONLY connect remotely, and several use macs.
  4. KingRocky macrumors member

Jul 21, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I use Timbuktu to remotely control my file server--easy setup and fast.
  5. mediaprodguy thread starter macrumors member

Sep 25, 2006
    but like the webpage wants me to install active x ... that windows thing....

what do i do at that prompt? I need active x to get in.....

work is all set up..... i just need the puzzle peice.

Anyone know?
  6. phuong macrumors 6502a

Aug 16, 2006
    if FF/Safari don't accept that activeX, then maybe running Windows XP under Parallels and install it?
  7. mediaprodguy thread starter macrumors member

Sep 25, 2006
    Sorry ....... i guess no one understands....

I want to access a winblows based pc...... and not ever install that crappy OS on my mac....

Is there a way to do so via safari or mozilla or something?

Windows Active X stops me.
  8. phuong macrumors 6502a

Aug 16, 2006
    then you could use Remote Desktop Connection. it's in the MS Office 2004 package. i use it to remote control my Windows server tower at my home. it's not as fast as doing the same thing from my Windows laptop.
    so, im not sure about the speed if you do it from your home to your office.
  9. brbubba macrumors 6502

May 20, 2006
    RDC does the job just fine, but I must warn you, if I was running IT at your office there is no way in hell I would open that port for you. A solution such as GoToMyPC might be better suited, as I believe it doesn't require you to open any ports.