Remote Access from Mac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by broncoball, Aug 10, 2005.

1. broncoball macrumors regular

I am thinking of buying a new powerbook but i have noticed that a program i have been using for my pc to access my files at school doesnt work with it (logmein.com). Is it possible to remotely access a mac from any other pc?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You can enable remote desktop on the Mac (Sys Prefs > Sharing > Apple Remote Desktop), then connect to it using RealVNC on Windows.

3. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I use remote desktop from my Powerbook to my PC.

I'm soon to dump the PC in favour of a Powermac though. Will I still be able to easily and cheaply access my Powermac from the Powerbook? Or do I have to cough up for the Apple Remote Desktop software?

Thanks
    Steve

4. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

I haven't tried it yet but their appears to be a freeware solution consisting of a client and a server, which you can get from the Apple downloads area.

Chicken of the VNC this is the client that you'd put on your powerbook to access your Powermac.

OSXVNC This I think is the software you put on the Powermac which the "chicken" client communicates with.

I'm going to give it a try when I get some free time, but hopefully this will do what the blurb says, cheaper than Apple remote.

Vanilla

5. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Excellent! Thanks for that.

I can't try it yet but let me know how you get on with it?

Thanks
    Steve

6. broncoball thread starter macrumors regular

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Apple Remote Desktop is more of an admin solution.

You might want to consider Timbuktu if VNC doesn't quite meet your needs. Timbuktu is expensive, but it's bells and whistles are really quite nice.

http://www.netopia.com

8. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Okay so I am writing this message through my iMac via the "chicken of the VNC" client running on my Powerbook and it's pretty cool actually.

I'm running on a 1mbs wireless connection and its not too bad. There is stickiness, particularly when typing text (there's always an initial delay and then the text starts flowing) but its no worse than the Mcrosoft remote desktop I use to connect to my office windows pc.

I need to play around with this a bit more and in particular access the iMac when I'm in the office rather than downstairs! But so far so good and its free!

So what you do is download the OSXVNC software on to your iMac and fire it up. It starts a server session and shows you what IP address and host name its using and you can also enter a password.

On your PowerBook, download the Chicken of the VNC software and fire it up also. Enter the IP address or hostname of your iMac and any password you may have given and then press connect and you're away.

cheers
    vanilla

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Is that better than Apple's VNC server?