Remote access from OSX to Windows machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by k2k koos, Mar 14, 2007.

1. k2k koos macrumors 6502a

k2k koos

I have several Macs, and I use a Windows machine at work. I also have a company laptop which runs windows. from this machine I can remotely login to my computer at work (desktop view) via IE.

Is there a way to do this from my Mac, out of a native OS X browser, so no bootcamp, parallels etc.

It would save me having to drag two machines around, and not having to work in windows as I hate that OS with a passion, the constant 'reminders' of Norton, and other OS messages being by far the most important.
    I know my 'remote desktop' would be windows, but at least I only have to deal with one instance, not one on top of another, that would be twice the aggrevation...

Any ideas?

2. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?pid=remotedesktopclient

3. k2k koos thread starter macrumors 6502a

k2k koos

thanks

That's a good start, thank you:)

Are there any other methods too?

4. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

VNC

You need a vnc server running on the windows machine at work
    my personal fav - Ultra VNC

and then use a vnc viewer on the Mac -
    my personal Fav - Chicken of VNC

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just note that Remote Desktop Protocol will be FAR more efficient than VNC. If you don't want to use teh MS client, consider rdesktop.

B

6. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

CoRD is the best thing for connecting to Windows computers via the Remote Desktop service (which is a lot more efficient than VNC). It's actually a Universal Binary, unlike Microsoft's client, and can be used to connect to more than one Windows host at once, also unlike Microsoft's client.

7. k2k koos thread starter macrumors 6502a

k2k koos

Thank you

great responses, seems there are several options, I will give them all a bash and see which one works best for me, I'd love to get rid of that windows laptop in my luggage...

8. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

I used the Remote Desktop Connection for years, had a PC hidden away in the closet and linked into it for some low-graphic baseball and football sims that I use for league play ... it worked fine. But I have to say, once you go Parallels, you never go back. It's an amazingly good piece of software ... I have Vista Ultimate running on it and it's just flawless, fast, so much better than all the other Windows/Mac options (and I feel like I've tried them all.)

9. mhuk01 macrumors 6502

it's such a shame i only have windows xp home edition which doesn't have remote desktop, so instead i have to settle for slow vnc.

is there a hack, or a way of setting it up so that i can access my xp home computer from my mac through remote desktop? if not, what the the best vnc programs to use, both for the xp end and mac end?

cheers