Remote Access

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macmonkey615, Jan 3, 2005.

1. macmonkey615 macrumors newbie

I'm looking for some solution to gain remote access from a broadband connected Ti-Book to a Modem-based iMac. Is this at all possible?

If so what software can you guys recommend?

Thanks
    JW

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It'd be much easier to access a broadband-connected device from a modem based one.

Anyway, what is it you need/want to do - just access files, try to see the screen, etc.?

3. macmonkey615 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry for my vagueness..

I convinced my aunt to purchase a mac not too long ago and she's always calling me with issues. These are simple user errors like she moved this - trashed that sort of thing. I'm needing something to get on her computer and fix things without driving an hour each way.

4. jim. macrumors 6502

Perhaps something like this:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/networking_security/osxvnc.html

VNC isn't known for its good performance though, so connecting to a dial-up computer might be pretty slow.

Otherwise you could shell out (or get your aunt to) for the Apple Remote Desktop client. I have never used it, so I cannot comment on its performance. If you are only concerned with files getting moved or lost, and you are comfortable with the command line, you could always use ssh, which is included out-of-box in OSX.

Hope this helps some,
    Jim

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The problem is that I'm not sure how to connect to a dial-up based system with VNC, SSH, or anything else - how does one actually connect that way?

Once you establish a connection, there are numerous things you can do. I'm just not sure how to get that broadband->dialup connection started in the first place.

6. jim. macrumors 6502

I see. You might have to go the route of dynamic dns. (Can you still get that for free?) I haven't used it in a few years. I think I used dyndns.org, if they still exist. There are clients that automatically update the DNS entries as the IP address changes. With that you would just use the domain name you assign to connect to her computer.

Otherwise you could get your aunt to tell you her IP address through the System Prefs before you can connect.

Of course if she is on dial-up she can't tell you over the phone, probably. So she'd have to use iChat or something similar.

Or if you want to get really fancy, you could theoretically set up a VPN that her computer automatically joins with yours, thus making the connection trivial. Someone with more knowledge about VPNs could say whether or not that would actually work.

Jim

7. macmonkey615 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the advice.. I'm not too swift with command line so I'll give the VNC thing a go.

P.s. what is apples remote client which you referred to above? I searched apple.com and couldn't come up with anything.

Thanks
    JW

8. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

its "Apple Remote Desktop 2", but its $299 for 10 client license. I hope they make this apart of Tiger by default because its stupid to have to shell out that much for something that is built into windows.

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I totally agree. At the very least I'd like Apple to make a 1-client "personal" version for like $49 or something that'll work with one remote computer. That's all some of us need anyway. But I do like the sound of it being built into Tiger better. :)