Remote Access?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by toxicbomber, Oct 9, 2006.

1. toxicbomber macrumors 6502a

I hear it can be done but how? And will someone let me access theres or access mine? Thanks! :eek:

2. ddekker macrumors regular

remote

apple OS X comes with ssh on it... It allows for command line remote control, I use it tons on my Linux servers and have used it on the apple a few times, makes for a nice way to do anything from editing files.. rebooting... you name it, I'll try and do a little write up on it soon on the site listed below... as far as desktop controling there are a couple options ... look up vnc... chicken of the sea vnc.. I think they also make a remote desktop (not free like Windows XP)

DD

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yes, VNC is the way to go.

Download Chicken of the VNC and put it in your Applications folder. This lets you control other Macs.

Go into System Preferences...->Sharing and turn on "Apple Remote Desktop" in the "Services" tab (you'll need to specify access privileges, and, in particular, a password). If your firewall is on, you'll need to go to the Sharing->Firewall tab and add a new rule ("New...", Port Name->Other, call it "VNC", and open up port 5900). This sets up your Mac to be controlled.

If you have a network router, you'll need to tell it to send traffic on port 5900 to you Mac's IP (intranet IP, like 192.168.1.xxx) address. This forwards VNC traffic to your Mac when it is to be controlled.

Use a service like DynDNS to create a domain name others can access (like myname.homeip.net). This lets people find your internet IP address.

If you and your friends all do this, you can, using Chicken of the VNC, remotely control each other's Macs. To disable it, just go into the Sharing preferences panel and turn off Apple Remote Desktop.

4. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

JSW:

Can you use this with Windows?

For example: Can I get a VNC program for my Mac and control a Windows Computer on my network provided there is a Windows VNC?

Thanks

5. juhani-jj macrumors newbie

Remote access tool

for accessing between windows and my mac, I've been using a free remote access software www.ntrconnect.com. for me it has worked well. about the vnc I don't have experience.

6. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

The answer be yes. ;)

I use Apple Remote Desktop, and it can control anything with VNC installed on it, including Windows and Linux boxes. It works the other way round too. VNC is cross platform, so if you install VNC on your PC you'll have no problem using a viewer to control it.

7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Bah! I can never get ARD to find my PeeCee when Chicken of the VNC works fine. I use RealVNC setup as a server on my PeeCee and use Chicken to fire in the IP and view/control/etc/etc

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Me and my brother both have macbooks. When we are in the same place (i.e. same wireless internet), Chicken of the VNC works through Bonjour.

I then make a new server, call it a different name, and copy the IP adress, and put it into the 'Host' box. I set up the password. His macbook still allows me to control it without Bonjour.

He then goes home (we live seperately), and I stay in the same place. We both have wireless broadband. I then try accessing his computer the same way as before, without Bonjour, and it tells me (after a minute) that the connection has timed out.

Help! (p.s. I do not want to pay for anything)

9. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

Ok.. I'm bringing a semi-old thread back to life cause I'm confused....

Everyone is talking about VNC... but I've tried using chicken of the vnc connecting to my brother's mac pro (different locations, both of us with broadband).... And I gotta tell ya, I hate it... why?? cause it's slow as hell from where you move the mouse and when you close a window.... It takes about 2-3 mins for it to refresh...

I've also connected to my iMac from a PC (at work) via VNC, and again, really slow to refresh..

I personally like Timbuktu with its' "real-time" movement.. But too bad both demos have expired.. :(

Or is VNC also "real-time" and I'm not setting it up right??? :confused:

10. nadyne macrumors 6502a

One option to control your Windows computer on your network is Remote Desktop Connection for Mac. Your Windows computer has to be running Windows XP Professional for this to work.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

--
    Nadyne Mielke | user experience researcher
    Microsoft Corporation | Macintosh Business Unit
    go ahead, mac my day

11. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to connect to my windows pc running xp pro right next to me... it's on the same network, same router...

I load up RDC from M$ and enter the ip addy....
    I connect...
    I get a logon screen...
    I enter my username...
    I don't have a password, so I leave that blank...
    but then I get an error window saying "Unable to long you on because of an account restriction"

I'm the only one that uses this pc, so I don't have a password....

What am I doing wrong?

12. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

is this a Windows Active Directory network, or a peer to peer network? Are you trying to do this at work or at home?

13. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

I'm at home.... the pc is right next to me....