Remote Accessing a PC

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Caspa, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Caspa macrumors member

Anybody know of some good software which will allow remote access of a win2k box which is as fast as using the actual computer? It'd be running over a 100mbit switched network so it doesn't really matter how much it transfers... but it would be great to find something fast so those progs which i've only got for win can still be used at the same time. The client would be running on 10.2

2. Caspa thread starter macrumors member

3. keithcobbett macrumors member

That's what I figured. Use VNC. It will work like a charm. Install the server on the remote computer. It doesn't take a ton of resources and you can use Safari or any other browser to connect via the IP address from any computer on the planet. Given that you are not behind a firewall. Then that's a different story.

4. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

If you're behind a firewall just open the VNC port and have it forward incoming requests on that port to the local IP of your PC. Security risks aside...

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

i'm doing this presently between XP Home Edition and a Mac using the VNCViewer client...

which seems to work the best for me... in that I can drag things without much issue.

however... there is still some refresh lags and whatnot...

I was using VNCThing before... but I had trouble dragging things via VNC. I would imagine Microsoft's Remote Desktop Client works better... but it isn't a feature in the Home edition of XP.

arn

6. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

i dont understand how you want to connect to a vnc server through a browser? huh????

7. keithcobbett macrumors member

That's how VNC works. You load the "Server" on the machine you want to connect to and then you use a browser to connect via the IP Address.

8. Jeffx342 macrumors regular