Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
I was wondering if there was some sort of free remote admin so i can help my brother out, who is going to college in two days. If possible, be similar to logmein.com where it is webbased because i always have had trouble with remote administration in the past. It never works due to my router, and problems with porrts, but logmein always works.. So is there anything i can use? VPN?

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
but with vnc wont i run into the same problems i always run into while i try to do remote admin?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
VNC will require ports to be open, but I've been using it for a year to remotely admin my parent's PC and Mac from over a thousand miles away, so I know it works.

Are you sure you can't affect your router port settings (and his)?

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Well i have forwarded ports before, so i know how to do it on mine, i would just need to know which ones to open, and his is a college dorm, so i will not be able to forward anything.. which is why i have always loved logmein, because it is webbased..

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
jer446 said:
Well i have forwarded ports before, so i know how to do it on mine, i would just need to know which ones to open, and his is a college dorm, so i will not be able to forward anything.. which is why i have always loved logmein, because it is webbased..
I think you'll be fine with just port 5900, which is likely also open on his end at school.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.