remote admin?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jer446, Aug 20, 2006.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

I was wondering if there was some sort of free remote admin so i can help my brother out, who is going to college in two days. If possible, be similar to logmein.com where it is webbased because i always have had trouble with remote administration in the past. It never works due to my router, and problems with porrts, but logmein always works.. So is there anything i can use? VPN?

2. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

3. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

but with vnc wont i run into the same problems i always run into while i try to do remote admin?

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

VNC will require ports to be open, but I've been using it for a year to remotely admin my parent's PC and Mac from over a thousand miles away, so I know it works.

Are you sure you can't affect your router port settings (and his)?

5. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well i have forwarded ports before, so i know how to do it on mine, i would just need to know which ones to open, and his is a college dorm, so i will not be able to forward anything.. which is why i have always loved logmein, because it is webbased..

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think you'll be fine with just port 5900, which is likely also open on his end at school.