Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SSAJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
Hey guys i am recently having problem with my TV remote its not working at the moment and i dont have enough cash to buy a new tv or its remote so i was wondering is there any way i can control my TV via my phone i have an iPhone 5S,So guys tell me a application that will allow me to control my tv.Please help....???

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hey guys i am recently having problem with my TV remote its not working at the moment and i dont have enough cash to buy a new tv or its remote so i was wondering is there any way i can control my TV via my phone i have an iPhone 5S,So guys tell me a application that will allow me to control my tv.Please help....???
iPhones don't have the infrared hardware that TVs need for remote control. You can buy universal TV remotes for $5-10; there's often no need for the actual manufacturer brand remote.

SSAJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
No, the iPhone does not emit the frequencies used by TV remotes.
A universal TV remote that you can program costs about $5-10.
You dont buy a new TV when the remote breaks.

Yeah i know but can you recommend me an application.please.?

SSAJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
I agree with Applejuiced but I have an iPhone app called "myTifi" that controls my Samsung Smart TV via wifi...however, the TV has to already be "ON" for it to work.

But i have sony's old lcd that doesn't have wifi can you recommend me an application for it.please..??

SSAJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
iPhones don't have the infrared hardware that TVs need for remote control. You can buy universal TV remotes for $5-10; there's often no need for the actual manufacturer brand remote.

Yeah i know but can you recommend me an application that works with my old sony lcd.please.?

SSAJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
Yes, what Brian said above.
If its a smart TV that connects to your WiFi then you can do it.
If not then the iPhone will not be able to control a standard TV.

Ohhh.....that means i won't be able to watch tv for a while

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah i know but can you recommend me an application that works with my old sony lcd.please.?
Is it an internet connected (smart) TV? If not, there's not much that you could do using an iOS device. Your best bet would be to get some universal remote from somewhere and use that (plenty of rather cheap ones available, as someone mentioned earlier).

SSAJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
Is it an internet connected (smart) TV? If not, there's not much that you could do using an iOS device. Your best bet would be to get some universal remote from somewhere and use that (plenty of rather cheap ones available, as someone mentioned earlier).

I guess that's the only option

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.