Remote Combusted (Photos too)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by HelixOmnimedia, Jun 25, 2009.

  1. macrumors 6502a

    HelixOmnimedia

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2006
    Location:
    Traveling The World
    #1
    Hey,

    Used my AppleTV last night like any other night, turned the ATV off, and left the control down. Got up this morning and discovered it had combusted overnight.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. macrumors 68000

    GSMiller

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    Location:
    Kentucky
    #2
    Oh wow...*Moves iMac Remote to other side of room*
     
  3. macrumors P6

    Peace

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2005
    Location:
    Space--The ONLY Frontier
    #3
    How does a tiny remote with a 3V battery combust ?
     
  4. macrumors 68030

    Darth.Titan

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2007
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #4
    More likely the battery combusted. That sucks though.
     
  5. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2008
    Location:
    UK
  6. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2006
    Location:
    Boston
  7. macrumors 601

    jaw04005

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2003
    Location:
    AR
    #7
    iSight camera.
     
  8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

    HelixOmnimedia

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2006
    Location:
    Traveling The World
    #8
    Yes took it with the iSight camera in my MacBook, should look for that setting that flips it after taking.

    Yeah it was the original battery.

    Oh well, won't be buying a new one yet, I'll see how the Remote App works with my iPod Touch... talk about perfect timing.
     
  9. macrumors 68020

    geoffreak

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2008
    #9
    Take it to the Apple store. Make them replace it.
     
  10. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2007
    #10
    Remote app on the ATV is great I love it.
     
  11. macrumors 6502

    jtgotsjets

    Joined:
    May 20, 2004
    Location:
    Lawrence, KS
  12. macrumors 6502

    JoshBoy

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2008
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
    #12
    Omg

    Wow, I think i will make sure my remotes are near anything that can catch alight, I either use my iphone or I havge a logitech touchscreen remote that does everything, works great with the apple TV if you are looking to replace it.
     
  13. macrumors 65816

    Bye Bye Baby

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2004
    Location:
    i(am in the)cloud
    #13
    Just lucky you didn't have it in your pants. Or in your bed.
     
  14. macrumors 65816

    chaos86

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2003
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #14
    I call BS. There's no way the tiny battery in the Apple remote could cause that damage, even if it did combust. Why? It's in the bottom end of the remote, and there's nothing particularly flamable in there to carry flames quickly to the top end before the fire burnt out from lack of oxygen.
     
  15. macrumors 604

    Cave Man

    #15
    It's not from flames. It's the manganese dioxide from the battery.
     
  16. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    #16
    I call short circuit

    In the circuit board around the button. Direct short leading to a complete battery drain and melting due to the extreme heat.
     

Share This Page