Remote (concurrent) Desktop Sessions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DonZorro, Sep 25, 2003.

1. DonZorro macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    I've used Netopia's Timbuktu, but it doesn't seem to provide the functionality of Remote Access that I need like that in X-Windows (where local user desktop and remote user desktop sessions are independent and concurrent).
    Timbuktu seems more like a tool for just SysAdmins (to control or view) the remote system's desktop.
    Also, having read about Apple's Remote Desktop, I come to the same conclusion that it's primarily for SysAdmin tasks (sw install/update, desktop control/view, etc.).

I need the ability to use concurrent multiple remote desktop sessions (eg with iMacs/iBooks/TiBooks as clients) connecting to an OS X server (the G5 Dualie!!)...and using the FULL processing power of the server for development (xcode), web-browsing (safari) and office apps, etc.

Pls don't tell me to use XDarwin, because that won't allow me to use the OS X apps.

How can I do this? Is this even possible?

2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I don't think this is really possible yet. What you want is an Xwindows system which Apple doesn't really integrate into the system. I'm doing this too, but you have to use an X server to get it (not Xserve, but the software). If you figure out to do this please tell all cause I'd be intrested.

BEN

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This is not currently possible. The Mac Quartz Windowing/Rendering layer is not network transparent (wheras X Windows and the old NeXT display postscript/NeWS system are). This might be possible with some future edition of Mac OSX (after Panther) as although Panther supports multiple concurrent logins only 1 is on screen at a time (as Quartz need the graphics card!).

The only app you have listed that really needs any processing power is xCode. You can set this up to compile over the network. If you set all the machines up to do this then the compiling will be shared across all the machines on the network.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You might want to look at this! Set the G5 as high priority and all the other boxes a low. Everyones compiles will be nice and fast :)

Attached Files: