Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdebeer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2004
I am looking for a remote control to use with presentations on my 12 inch PB. I am considering the Keynote Express (but I've heard negative things about its functionality with Airtunes -- not sure what that might mean for PowerPoint -- and I am not sure IR is the way to go), the 1-button BT Apple Mouse, or another BT mouse (i.e. something with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel!).

Advise? Experiences, good or bad?

P.S. (If there was a BT Mighty Mouse, I'd have it already).

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Do you have a bluetooth enabled cell phone? You may already have a remote. I can use my SE T616 to control PowerPoint (and possibly Keynote) already. Just a thought...

jdebeer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2004
I don't have a bluetooth phone, although that might be another option -- to buy one in place of a remote or mouse (but they're expensive, no?).

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If you're in the US, and you are not on contract with someone, there are a number of cells with BT that are basically free after rebates -- go check out Amazon.com for a lot of examples, such as the RAZR, or the A630, a number of Sony-Ericsson phones, etc. All you need to pay for is something like Sailing Clicker.

I usually use my mouse... it doesn't go backwards, of course, b/c it's a one button BT mouse. I should probably start using my cell instead. I played around with it and it can be pretty easy to use. :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
tobefirst said:
Or, you can use a free utility like Romeo . I use this to control iTunes when I'm doing work around the apartment and a song I don't feel like listening to comes on.

Yeah... for my phone, at least, to use Romeo, I need another half of the software, Veta Universal , I think it's called? Which isn't free. (Veta is on the phone and Romeo is on the Mac.) But if your phone already has the phone-side software, you're good to go with Romeo. :)

St Soichiro

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2004
Tulsa, OK
jdebeer said:
I am looking for a remote control to use with presentations on my 12 inch PB. I am considering the Keynote Express (but I've heard negative things about its functionality with Airtunes -- not sure what that might mean for PowerPoint -- and I am not sure IR is the way to go), the 1-button BT Apple Mouse, or another BT mouse (i.e. something with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel!).

Advise? Experiences, good or bad?

P.S. (If there was a BT Mighty Mouse, I'd have it already).

I have used both the Keyspan remote and the Kensington remote. Both are essentially similar in functionality, allow you to control PowerPoint and Keynote presentations, and work over RF. The included laser pointers are helpful. So much better than having to walk back to your laptop to press the 'next' key. Personally I prefer the Kensington version: more compact, better styled, and holds more naturally.

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
RF Vs. IR

Go for th RF.

I have used only the Keyspan on my PB and it worked great.

Had a little trouble on a EYE-BEE-M, though.

I do like the design of the Kensington, too. I might have to give it a shot. I need one of my own. (The Keyspan belonged to a Doc I work with.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.