Remote Desktop a few Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PeterBonnar, Sep 16, 2004.

1. PeterBonnar macrumors member

I've got a copy or Remote Desktop and don't want to rip open the shrink wrap till i know a few things.

1. On the Apple web site it goes on about contolling your macs from your mac, but it shows machines running XP, can i control my XP machine with it? :confused:

2. If I can control the PC, do i need any additions software other then the remote desktop software, i know panther installed macs have everything you need on them to begin setting them up for control.

3. Does it work or Wireless networks? I have a Powerbook and an iMac on a airport network, the airport express connects to a router which is wired to the PC and three other macs, will the iMac be able to access all the machines?

4. Now heres a good one, Can i get software to allow the PC to control the macs, like a Remote Desktop client for XP? Sometimes when i'm working on the PC i don't wanna have to go downstairs to access a mac just to check my mail etc. :eek:

I hope my questions make sense :D

2. garybUK Guest

garybUK

1. Remote Desktop is based on VNC so you need a VNC server on your pc http://www.realvnc.com/

2. See 1

3. Yep

4. Yep use VNC, http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16699 (server component for mac) use the client with the software that comes with 1 to see the mac.

3. PeterBonnar thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for this, one more question.

Is the quality of which i can view another computers desktop and control it effected by the fact i'm on a wireless network.? would i be able to get a better refresh rate if i plugged in the gigabit ethernet?

4. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

The easiest way to control your XP box is to use Microsoft Remote Desktop Client which is a free download from microsoft.com/mac.

I use this to control my old PIII-650 laptop across my Airport Extreme network and it works great. 1024x768 res with millions of colors...

The laptop has a Linksys/Cisco 802.11g card.

5. PeterBonnar thread starter macrumors member

i've tried the microsoft software and it just didn't work, i tried everything to get it to work, i just presumed it was a problrm with it was just bad software.

is both your pc and mac on a wireless network? i think the microsoft solution wouldn't work cuase i was on a wireless network which then joined the wired network of the pc

besides it would then mean running two lots of remote desktop. software!

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I could not get MS Remote Desktop to work either. I'm on both a wired and a wireless network, but I'm set up to prefer the wired network. I haven't experimented with VNC yet - maybe I'll give that a try.

7. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Yes both my PC and Mac are on a wireless network and the MS software works fine.

My network is: the Airport Extreme plugs directly in to the DSL modem, and then the G5 and PC both have wireless cards. I have the XP desktop in a Window on my G5 right now...

8. PeterBonnar thread starter macrumors member

i think my problem with the microsoft software is that the mac connects to the airport express which connects to a router, the router connects to the pc. The cable modem plugs into the router. Cause the mac and pc are on different ntwroks, or subnetworks or subnets or whatever you call em the microsfot software can't see the pc. but.. apple remote desktop can, but the refresh rate and quality is crap,

9. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

You could be right there...in my system everything is on the same subnet. The DSL modem's built in router is at 10.0.0.138, the Airport base station is at 10.0.0.50 and the two computers are at 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2.

I have turned off the DHCP servers in the modem and the Airport Extreme and just typed in the IP addresses manually. Maybe that is why it works...