Remote Desktop Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FlamDrag, Sep 4, 2004.

1. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

I need to be able to take control of my mom's desktop on occasion to show her how to do various things instead of spending an hour on the phone.

I can't spend $500 to accomplish this. Is there any alternative to Apple Remote desktop? I just need my computer to hers. One client. Both OS 10.3.5. It doesn't need to be able to do anything fancy (install programs, transfer files or anything else). Heck, if I could just move the mouse and have her click, that'd be fine too.

Thanks in advance.

2. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I use Share My Desktop 1.2. I think there is a windows version available too so you can control your PC from your mac if you so desire.

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Obviously on top of 'Share My Desktop' you'll need a VNC client, try VNC Thing or Chicken of the VNC.

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

You can get more information on VNC from here VNC. Keep in mind unless you both have good internet connections it can be a little bit slow...but sure beats shelling out the money for Remote Desktop!

5. FlamDrag thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link. We both have high-speed connections so that shouldn't be a big problem.

Are there any other alternatives, or can anyone else vouch for the above link?

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

The only other alternative I can think of is Timbuktu but you'll have to shell out some cash.