Remote Desktop and Chicken VNC doesn't see 10.3 Server

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cmcconkey, Jul 5, 2006.

1. cmcconkey macrumors 6502

I am trying to use Chicken VNC to do a remote desktop of our OSX 10.3.9 server, but it will not see it even though Remote Desktop is turned on in the sharing pane of the prefs. I have made my login and the admin login active under the Remote desktop pane but the Chicken doesn't see it.

I am needing this set up so that I can do a remote restart and some other small things when needed. We have something strange going on with the server, the video will just all of a sudden stop working until you restart. Obviously we can't just restart it right then because it is a server in a production environment. The AGP card that is on it is troublesome and so is the PCI video card that we bought for it when the AGP card started giving us problems. I really don't trust the server further than I can throw it right now, because of these video problems (on both AGP and PCI busses), and a couple of hard drives were replaced recently because of problems with them. I am afraid that what I have is a MOBO problem.

If anyone has any information or has any other questions that need to be asked to give me any help please let me know.

Thanks
    Christopher

2. cmcconkey thread starter macrumors 6502

No one can help?

Can anyone lead me to somewhere that can help?

Thanks
    Christopher

3. MacMarvin macrumors member

Have you made sure you don't have a firewall blocking the VNC port? Also make sure you are using the correct IP address in Chicken of the VNC settings.

4. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

I beleve the ability to use third party vnc clients was added in 10.4. Don't remember when.

5. cmcconkey thread starter macrumors 6502

That would make sense as to a reason that I can't connect in VNC. It looks as though the logic board is going on the mac so I will be getting a new Xserve Dual 2.3 to play with, also be ordering ARD at the same time.

Christopher

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I had experience with 10.3 server with Remote Desktop. It required that I update the Remote Desktop service. I could see the server and I was able to update the service and reboot remotely. Can you ping the server?

7. cmcconkey thread starter macrumors 6502

The server operates great most of the time, see other post on the server.

It runs quite nice 99 percent of the time. It is our main file server that is connected into by 4 layout designers for 8-10 hours a day.

Christopher

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

It's standard under 10.4, but just update to the latest version of Remote Desktop (if you can) from Apple's site (2.2, I think), and it'll do VNC just fine. There's a checkbox down at the bottom of the RDC prefs that says "VNC viewers may control screen with password". I'm running a 10.3 XServe headless at work, and I connect to it using CotVNC.

The only sad thing is that Apple's VNC server implementation doesn't handle low-bandwidth connections well at all--it doesn't like to spit out a signal at anything lower than thousands of colors (or at least not one I've been able to get CotVNC to interpret properly), which is REALLY annoying.