Remote Desktop and Windows XP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by frome, Jun 10, 2006.

1. frome macrumors member

frome

I have a Powerbook G4 12" with Mac OS X 10.4.6 and Apple Remote Desktop 2.2 and a Windows XP SP2 laptop. Is there any way to remote desktop the windows XP laptop using Apple Remote Desktop 2.2? :confused:

2. elbirth macrumors 65816

I've never used Apple Remote Desktop, so I don't know for sure... but it's my understanding that this is just for Mac-to-Mac remote control, so it wouldn't work with Windows.

I have, however, used the Remote Desktop app bundled with Microsoft Office, and that does work with Windows. Even though it's not a universal binary, it runs just fine.
    For a free alternative, though, I'd suggest looking into RealVNC or another open source VNC server to install on your Windows machine, and then get a VNC viewer for your Mac. The program Chicken of the VNC is a good choice for that.

3. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Apple Remote Desktop is only for connecting to another Mac. To connect to a WinXP Pro machine, you need Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac. If you have Office 2004, it's on your CD; if not, it's a free download from the site that I linked.

Make sure that you follow all of the directions for setting up RDC, which includes some steps that you must do on your WinXP box to be able to connect to it.

HTH. :)

--
    Nadyne Mielke | user experience researcher
    Microsoft Corporation | Macintosh Business Unit

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

That is weird. I use Remote Desktop to connect to a Windows Server at work. As long as you have VNC, you can connect using this Apple product to a non-Mac. You just can't do everything with a VNC client that you can with a Remote Desktop client.