Remote Desktop assistance

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sjshaw, Apr 4, 2005.

1. sjshaw macrumors regular

OK, I searched and looked through all the threads re: connecting to a PC on my local network with Remote Desktop. I am still not able to connect. I would appreciate any help you can give.

The setup: I have a Belkin wireless router with my XP Pro machine and my PowerBook on it. I am able to connect from my PB to my XP machine and vice versa (using the directions in the sticky networking thread). When I start RDC and input my XP box's IP address, it works for a bit and comes back with the "The Client could not connect to the remote computer."

The XP firewall is disabled. Terminal Services is started. I'm stumped. Any ideas?

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Right-click My Computer and go to Properties. One of the tabs in there has a checkbox that allows people to connect to the computer remotely. If it isn't checked, it won't work.

3. sjshaw thread starter macrumors regular

Already done.

4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Do you have any kind of Antivirus software installed? I know that the latest version of Norton Antivirus includes something like "Internet Worm Blocking" which is basically a firewall. You may need to disable something like that.
    Also, are you trying to connect by entering the Windows PC's IP address, or name? It would be best to use it's IP address.

5. sjshaw thread starter macrumors regular

No antivirus, and I am using the IP addy.

6. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I guess I would open up the Network Utility (in the Utilities folder) on your Mac. Try pinging the XP box, and see if you get a response. Then Port Scan the XP box and let us know what ports are open. This should narrow down the problem.

7. sjshaw thread starter macrumors regular

OK, when I ping the XP box I get no response. But, I can still connect to the PC via SMB! What to do in order to get a ping?

8. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Are you connecting to it via SMB using its IP Address?
    If so, getting no ping response indicates that some kind of firewall-ish thing is on.
    Did you port scan its IP address? What ports came up open?

9. sjshaw thread starter macrumors regular

I'm connecting to it via SMB using the IP address. I can't port scan, because the PB can't connect to the XP box (no ping response).

10. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

a port scan should still work. if you're connecting with SMB, then double-check the IP address and use the Port Scan tab of Network Utility to port scan that address.

11. sjshaw thread starter macrumors regular

OK, the port scan is just scanning and scanning with no end in sight. I've double-checked and there is no firewall enabled on the XP box.

12. sjshaw thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the assistance... this is very frustrating.

13. sjshaw thread starter macrumors regular

OK, I can ping my PB from my XP box, but not vice versa. I can ping the router from my PB. The OS X firewall is not on. Does that help narrow down the problem?

14. sjshaw thread starter macrumors regular

Never mind, I'm an idiot. It works fine now. Thanks for the help.

15. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

16. sjshaw thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't have NAV running because... I had PC-cillin and its integrated firewall running. :(

Sorry for the bother.