Remote Desktop Clients

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CNU182, Jun 22, 2006.

1. CNU182 macrumors regular

Is there one/which is the best if I need to control XP machines remotely from my MacBook. It would be great if I could use XP to control them as well. Thanks.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

VNC comes installed on all Macs (assuming even a vaguely recent OS version), so any VNC client on a PC should work (just make sure you've set it up on the Mac in System Preferences...->Sharing->Apple Remote Desktop).

Chicken of the VNC works well as a client to most VNC servers, such as those you'd install on Windows.

3. nadyne macrumors 6502a

There's Remote Desktop Connection.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Timbuktu is an expensive, but excellent resource for controling to/from Macs/PCs. (It's very much cross-platform)

Apparently now PCAnywhere supports OS X.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Seconded. The RDC client and server are both built into Windows, all you need to do is enable the server (System control panel) and connect using the client.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Timbuktu Pro is the best PC > Mac control I've used.
    For the other way around (Mac > PC) like the others have said, the freely available Microsoft Remote Desktop Client for Mac is the easiest option.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

*** slaps forehead ***

Of course, that's much better than what I recommended. I'm still upset with myself that I forgot about it. Works only with XP Pro and Win 2K/NT Server editions, though, right?

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Correct. XP Pro & various server styles.. and possibly Vista (once it's released).

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

OK anyone have any first hand experience in running RDC on Intel Macs? Does Rosetta render it less useful than on PPC.

FWIW there's also an X11 RDP client called rdesktop available from fink http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/rdesktop I know it's fairly decent on Linux.

B

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I use it nearly every day over a 1Mbit link. Absolutely no issues worth mentioning. LAN speed is a bit slow but I'm not sure whether this is a problem with RDC clients in general or the slowness of Rosetta. You can certainly see the processor utilisation increasing though when RDC is cranked up (i.e. Rosetta overhead).