Remote Desktop Confusion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Invizzible, May 12, 2005.

1. Invizzible macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2003
    I know nothing about Apple Remote Desktop, and thought it would be cool to be able to control my mom's iMac from my Powermac, for when I'm showing her how to do stuff (we live in different states). So I typed in "Remote Desktop" into the Finder's Help field, and it says "Mac OS X includes the Apple Remote Desktop client software so you can manage computers on your network". But I've looked for the software on my Powermac and can't find it anywhere (running 10.3.9). Then at the bottom of the Help page, it gives a link to the Apple page where you can buy the Administrator version for $299.

Do I have the client version? Where is it?? In order for it to work, do I need to buy the Administrator version???
  2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    System Preferences -> Sharing -> Check the box next to ARD, that is how you turn it on. If you download the latest version from Apple, since this doesn't come though the Software Update like most patches do, then you can use a VNC software like "Chicken of the VNC" and not need to buy the $299 Controller version from Apple. I'll see if I can find the steps to setup VNC in the ARD.
  3. Terminalz macrumors newbie

Mar 12, 2005