remote desktop connection does not work

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hungarianguy, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Hungarianguy macrumors member

I have a problem. I have 2 computers on my home network. a G5 and a windows xp. the windows xp is configured to allow remote desktop, but when I try to remote desktop from the apple to the windows system it does not work. i can ping both computers from each other. does anyone know how to do this what could be wrong?

thanks,
    daniel

2. DVW86 macrumors member

Make sure that you have the firewall in XP turned off and you are using the correct IP address or computer name of the XP machine.

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Do you use XP Pro or XP Home? I think only XP Pro allows remote connections out of the box while you need special software for XP Home.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Try connecting by using the IP address rather than the hostname.

Also, make sure you're not confusing Remote Desktop with Remote Assistance. Remote Desktop is enabled by going to the System control panel, going to the Remote tab, then selecting 'Allow users to connect remotely to this computer.'

6. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Now, this sucks. I thought it would be possible to add terminal services somehow?

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

AFAIK, nope. Best you could do is install a VNC server, which is no where near as good.

8. BillHarrison macrumors 6502

Yes, and VNC definitely does not hold a candle to remote desktop. IMO, this is definitely worth the price of entry. Not to mention, in my case, the fact that Home only supports one processor (I like having both mine work!)

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Although XP Home does support "Remote Assistance". What the hell's that? Microsoft's nice way of saying another hole for malware writers to exploit?

10. Hungarianguy thread starter macrumors member

yes I'm using xp pro. I did try to use the ip address. I can ping the ip address. I do have firewall on and I'm going to try to disable it and try again. and yes I do know the difference between remote assistance and desktop. (remote assistance the one that msn messenger has is not available on the mac msn messenger)

Has anyone had success with the firewall on and being able to connect from mac to pc using remote desktop?

11. BillHarrison macrumors 6502

I know from PC to PC, it works fine WITH the firewall on. I can't vouch for mac to PC, but I don't see why not, as a mac is not going to be sending anything other than what Remote desktop is looking for.

Only other issue I could think of is you being behind a router, which is blocking it, but your saying this is all on a local network, and you can ping the computer you want to connect to.

You do have to enable remote desktop! It is under system in the settings panel on the win xp pro box. Also make sure you have the right priveledges set up in the options there.

12. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Make sure the port is not blocked by the firewall on both sides (XP Pro and Mac OS X). TCP 3389.

13. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

WHat firewall are you running? Most firewalls allow you to define a "friendly" zone that contains your local network. I have zonealarm and had to make special arrangements (add the mac to the friendly zone) and now it is running fine.

14. Hungarianguy thread starter macrumors member

I got it to work:

I was running the Windows XP Sp2 firewall. That is the firewall that comes with Windows XP by default. Basically there is a setup in there that says:
    Allow Remote Desktop to connect.
    Once I checked that everything was ok. I did not have to disabe the firewall.

So here are the steps in trouble shooting this problem for the archive:

On your windows XP
    1. have remote desktop enabeled (rightclick on my computer, on the Remote tab, you need to check the two boxes)
    2. make sure your firewall does not block remote desktop packets, for most users this will be the right steps: control panel, security center, windows firewall, Exceptions, make sure Remote Desktop has a checkbox beside it. If you want to be really carefull you can edit the Remote Desktop and put (only accept requests from my network), so noone can remote desktop in from your internet, but most of the time your router will most likely block this.

Remote desktop works great and. I really missed a video input port on my g5 this really replaces that need.

Thanks for all the help!!
    Dan