remote desktop connection for mac

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by redAPPLE, Oct 3, 2002.

1. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

hi guys.

i would like to ask you if any of you have ever used the microsoft "remote desktop connection for mac".

if i read things right, it would be like timbuktu and thursby's "dave".

maybe some of you can note down their experiences.

i would like to try this out, but i cannot seem to get a connection.

any note or help would be appreciated. thx.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I've tried to use it, but the damn thing won't stop crashing! It's realy anonying, I love the idea of being able to leave my wintel laptop plugged in anywhere on my network and controling it from my mac, but as I said, it won't stop crashing! :mad: :rolleyes:

M$ :rolleyes: :p

3. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

does "crashing" mean = not even connecting? :)

what do you mean by "crashing"?

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It will connect, and will run fine for a short while, then the app will just terminate! :mad:

5. Dave Marsh macrumors regular

MS Remote Desktop Connection

I use the Microsoft RDC app to connect to my Windows 2000 server, and it works just fine. Just enter the IP address of the Windows PC. When I'm done, I select Start - Log Off, it breaks the connection and takes me to a dialog box where I can Quit the app. I've never had it crash. I have to use it occasionally when IE on the Mac just won't display a web site properly, so I connect to the server and use its IE app. I should add that I've never actually run it more than 15 - 20 minutes, but it's never crashed in that amount of time.

6. bidge macrumors 6502

I use it fine with my Windows XP box but I'm having some trouble using it with my Win2K Small business server. Can you tell me how you set up the server Dave, please.

To set up Remote Desktop on Windows XP you go to Start settings and then your system section. Here you click on the remote desktop part and fill out the required fields.

hope this helps

7. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i think i have done that. i am using a router and switch. the ipaddress is being provided by the dhcp server. that means, a 10 dot address.

have anyone successfully connected with a 10 dot address?

8. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

The 10 address will work just fine, as long as the client and server are on the same subnet, or if the client is on the 10 subnet and the server is on a globally routable subnet, or if your ten subnet is connected to the internet via a nat router and you have set up port forwarding for the service you want to connect to.

(knowing a bit about your network setup) If you want to make an RDC connection to your windows xp box from work, and your xp box is at home behind your airport that is doing NAT and handing out 10.0.1 addresses to your home machines, go into the airport admin utility and go to port mapping and forward port (hold on one second while I look up the port)

port 3389

(did a goggle search for
    RDC port forwardng
    )

You will need to look at your Windows box to see what address the dhcp server is handing out to it. Most DHCP implementations will do their best to give the same mac address the same ip address every time, unless it runs out of non reserved ip addresses.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

9. Dave Marsh macrumors regular

Windows 2000 Server Setup

I'm running Terminal Services on my server. I used to use VNC to access it, but RDC runs MUCH faster and everything works as expected. So, for me, VNC is history. My server is on my subnet with IP of 10.0.0.2 (I reserve 10.0.0.1 for my DSL router running DHCP), and is also running WINS. There was NOTHING special to the configuration, just a standard Terminal Services configuration. Don't forget to setup the user accounts on the server, and give them administrator rights if you want to do configurations remotely.:eek: