Remote Desktop Connection Xserve Profiles

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by mobcdi, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Guest

Does anyone know if its possible to give each user a profile on an xserve box so that they can VNC or remote desktop connect in to the profile and be given their own instance of a mac Desktop, the hardware would mac it just wouldn't connecting to a unique mac desktop

If thats not possible is there some easy way of giving uses remote access to a mac desktop without having to wire up individual mac desktops?

2. macrumors 68040

calderone

It sounds like you are looking for thin clients. This is not something built into OS X server, as far as I know. Here are some possibilities.

1. It sounds like you have individual Macs. Why not use PHDs?
    2. 3rd party: http://www.aquaconnect.net/?page_id=26
    3. NetBoot, but if you have a Mac that is available for netbooting, you might as well use PHDs.

Only one person can be using a machine at a time, so PHDs would satisfy local logins with user specific profiles or "Desktops."

Maybe I am not interpreting your wants correctly, but one of these would fit the bill.

3. thread starter Guest

I'm not familiar with PHD's can you explain it?
    I'm lookng for a thin client solution with the mac server hardware providing the power and mac applications to end users the aqua connect may be 1 solution but would like to keep it to apple if possible

I don't have a suite of mac's so netboot wouldn't apply

I guess the best say to describe is apple offer their lab in a cart with the apple cart, I was wondering if they offered the same thing but with just an xserve to have a lab in a server slot