Remote Desktop Connection

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by djjon, May 27, 2004.

1. djjon macrumors member

is there any software like remote desktop connection that would allow me to access my mac from a pc and run the programs as rdc lets one. thanks
    jon

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

3. aus_dave macrumors regular

I don't know a lot about it from the PC side but you should be able to use VNC (Virtual Network Computing) to do this. In your case you need a VNC server on the Mac and a VNC client on the PC. I don't have any links but a Google search will turn up plenty of info.

I do this but in reverse; WinVNC server on Windows PCs and 'Chicken of the VNC' client on the Mac (strange name, great app :)).

4. djjon thread starter macrumors member

Works great, in fact im using it right now. Is there any way that I can get the sound to play from the computer running the client though?

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Unfortunately, the current VNC protocol doesn't support playing server sound on the client machine due to the bandwidth/compression requirements for sending the sound data from the VNC server to the VNC client. There isn't really an easy way to solve this - if you want more information, do a search for VNC on Google.

6. legion macrumors 6502a

RDC would be faster than VNC for your purposes. You should try it out. It's faster since it doesn't do full screen redraws. We've got it working from London to LA with no problems (and quite usable speeds) On a local subnet, it's lightning fast.

7. aus_dave macrumors regular

Thanks Legion, but I don't think RDC works on Win2K, only on XP Professional and a few other Windows server versions. Correct me if I'm wrong though :).

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Actually WinXP does have RDC server installed (and on, which have led to many virus accesses -- MSblast, I believe may be one of them). MS does put out an RDC client for the Mac (can't host a sever) but I haven't been able to get it to work.

9. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

it works nicely in our company.

10. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Win2K does support RDC. You have to install Terminal Services. If you use Remote Administration mode, only 2 clients will be able to connect to the server at a time. We use this to remotely manage all of our Win2K servers.

11. winwintoo macrumors 6502