Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Hello guys!

I'm trying to teach my old and sweet mother how to use ichat video.
It's a stretch, to say the least... she's never Ever touched a computer before.

I have remote desktop 1.2, and it's great for internal networks... but is there any way to utilize this program (or any other program) from far away so I can access her computer and engage ichat/problem solve/print for her?

thanks.

r.

p.s. there is high speed comcast cable internet with airport extreme at her house, set up by me of course, not my mum. so it uses DCHP, me thinks.

p.p.s. also, the computer she is using is a first generation 400mgz tibook with the first generation airport card. will ichat work better if i hook it up to airport extreme using ethernet...??? is the 1st gen airport quick enough for ichat? i thought it was faster then any mainstream broadband tech.

thanks again!!!

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
If you use a program called osxvnc + install it onto the computer you want to connect to that should work. On your machine, then install a vnc viewer. A good is "vncviewer".

osxvnc
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16699

vncviewer (another is called chicken of the vnc)
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/9424

Carefull though, VNC is a little insecure. I bet you would never have a problem though. It uses passwords etc. VNC is platform independant. You could use a PC to vnc into your mothers computer or the other way around.

Hope this is of some help.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
thank you!

(edited, i figured it out)

... but new problem, when it gets up and running, the programs on the computer being controlled act Funny.

all programs, when selected, immedieatly switch back to the finder. so i cannot control any program.

any advice???

r.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
whyrichard said:
thank you!

(edited, i figured it out)

... but new problem, when it gets up and running, the programs on the computer being controlled act Funny.

all programs, when selected, immedieatly switch back to the finder. so i cannot control any program.

any advice???

r.
Not come across that problem....

Within osxvnc there are options to say what to do when you connect - ie. lock keyboard etc. Are these setting ok? Sounds like you are only partially controlling the system. Another useful item is "configure startup items". This way, it always runs on the system.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
and now i can't even start the server. i check the log, and the final thing it says is "failed to bind socket: port may be in use by another VNC"

hmmmm.

Hmmmmmm??????????

r.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
whyrichard said:
and now i can't even start the server. i check the log, and the final thing it says is "failed to bind socket: port may be in use by another VNC"

hmmmm.

Hmmmmmm??????????

r.
sounds like its already running. Check in the activity monitor for osxvnc.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Falleron said:
Not come across that problem....

Within osxvnc there are options to say what to do when you connect - ie. lock keyboard etc. Are these setting ok? Sounds like you are only partially controlling the system. Another useful item is "configure startup items". This way, it always runs on the system.

actually, oddly, found that this strange problem was replicated for me when i tried to print a Text Clipping file through a desktop printer.

?

whatever. imaginativly disfunctional computers or me?

r.

AND NOW FOR MY FINAL QUESTION, now that i seem to have gotten this figured out...

i am testing this only on an internal airport network.

when i am accessing this from across the country, what do i do differently?

is the hostname/display option on the computer that is controlling the other one different if i am outside my airport network?

thank you!

r.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.