Remote Desktop Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tripLe, Jul 26, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 25, 2008
    I've been trying to connect my Macbook Air to one of my PC machines and no matter what I try I keep on getting error messages. As of right now, I am using Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection 2. I have made sure that my PC is allowing remote desktop to work, as well as the firewall being down. I have also made note of my PC's network IP.

So, whenever I run RDC and type in my PC's IP, I keep on getting this message: "You were disconnected from the Windows-based computer because of network problems. Verify that your network and Internet connections are working, and then try reconnecting to the Windows-based computer." Now, I have been able to access my PC's shared folders from my MBA with Finder, using "Connect to server..." with no problem at all.

And, when I go to my PC and turn on the firewall, but leaving an exception for RDC, I get a different error message when trying to connect. "The Mac cannot connect to the Windows-based computer. This problem can occur if: - The Windows-based computer is not set up to accept remote connections. - The Windows-based computer is not turned on. - The Mac, or the Windows-based computer is experiencing network problems. Try connecting to the Windows-based computer again, or contact your administrator." Now, this error message comes up after a few seconds of thinking on the RDC program, but with the firewall off, that error message is pretty much instant. Also, if I go to my PC and turn on the firewall, and turn off the exceptions, I get the message above.

I am using a Windows Ultimate PC and both of my computers are hooked up to the same network via WiFi and a router. Anybody know a work around on this? Do I need to fix some settings on my router or PC? Or is there another way to access my PC from my MBA, like using VPN?
  2. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 25, 2008
  3. macrumors P6

Jun 11, 2007
    hello there, i know its a very late reply.

have you gotten any third party hosting software installed such as "tightvnc" which creates a server for the remote desktop program to connect to/??

it should work once you install and configure that correctly.
  4. macrumors newbie

Aug 18, 2008
    Same problem.

Can't help I'm afraid, but if it makes you feel better, I have exactly the same problem. I've even risked turning off the firewall altogether without success.

The only thing I can find that might describe the problem is in the "OS supported documentation'. Here it specifies that remote access supports Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Media. I think my PC is just bog standard XP so perhaps this is the problem.

Good luck it's really frustrating I know.

I've had similar problems accessing DRM protected sites (which is why I wanted this - so that I could view stuff on my PC ..... and accessing my hotmail account via Imail.

All the documentation tells you how to do it - you go through the whole rigmrole and then it doesn't work. Very frustrating.
  5. macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2008
    I was getting this message using the hostname, but when I entered the IP address directly I didn't get this message. Hope this works for you as well.