Remote Desktop Question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by caba1, Jul 15, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 16, 2010
    I need some help. I have a macbook air 13 inch and am running windows 7 professional on it via VMWare Fusion. I want to get an iPad and access a program on the windows 7 to take my patient notes on. Is this possible and if so what do I need to do? I don't know if it matters, but the iPad will be in the same room/office as the macbook air.

2. Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Detroit, Michigan
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Look for Team Viewer, it's a remote desktop app and it also works on iPad. Best part is, it's free!
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 16, 2010
    Will that allow me to enter data in the program on the windows 7 and save it etc?
  4. macrumors regular

Apr 9, 2011
  5. macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Mar 12, 2010
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Yeah, definitely try out any "Lite" version of desktop app before buying. There is a wide range of performance. Some work better for data entry (like you want), some do better at streaming video/audio (but are worse for typing / mousing around).

Also, since your Windows 7 is running under VMWare, you need to make sure VMWare networking is configured properly. Basically you want to setup Windows 7 to share your network, and request an IP address from your router's DHCP. That way, your iPad will be able to directly connect to the Windows 7 VM. By default I think VMWare does a private network that only allows access from the host. (I'd give you a step by step, but I use Parallels for my VMs).

I know a lot of folks who do the same type of thing you're talking about. Once you find a good desktop sharing app, and work out the networking, you'll be good to go.
  6. macrumors newbie

Apr 25, 2011
    North Carolina
    I don't see a lite version of this app, help?