Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffgtr

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2005
I've been considering switching for the last few months, one thing thats stood in my way is that there are times I must use IIS in windows for web design and development. I finally settled on a solution offered by someone else in this forum to put the windows box in the closet and remote desktop to it from the mac. I remote from work all the time and it's a bit sluggish but usable, this evening as a test I remoted from my laptop (another winxp pro machine) into the my main pc on my home network and it worked great, fast enough to do work, I was very suprised. So here' s my question, will the remote desktop be equally as fast (all things considered ie connection speed) remoting in from an imac g5 2ghz w/ 1.5 gig of ram. My hunch is it will be the same, but thought I'd ask to see if anyone can verify this as I'm about to take the plunge and call apple with my order.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I guess it'll be the same. I remote from my 1.25 GHz Mac to a 1.4? GHz PC and it's nice and fast. Just make sure you turn XP's eye candy off - set it to the classic interface so that it doesn't have to send colourful toolbars etc over the network (because the solid-colour toolbars are a lot faster).

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
If you use a fast network connection (ethernet or 802.11g), it will work very well. I use this kind of set up on the rare occasion that I need to use a Windows application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.