Remote desktop to Unix/Linux Server?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hoef, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

I am by no means a Unix expert but I happen to have a linux server running for basic website stuff. Is there anything available on the mac that allows me to connect to the linux box from OSX that resembles like a remote desktop?

I remember x-windows from unix ages ago and ofcourse you can remote connect to window servers and other macs but I am looking to connect to linux. Tx!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Install Apple x11 and you can do the normal X remote application display. You can tunnel that over ssh if you need to keep it secure.

3. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

4. Hoef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hoef

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Note that VNC is not particularly secure unless you tunnel it through SSH. I would recommend that you keep the VNC port closed on the server, which will force you to tunnel the connection. Also, it might be a good idea to enable xscreensaver (with password required, and a blanked window for the "screensaver"), because otherwise anyone with an account on the server will be able to access your VNC session even when it's tunnelled through SSH.

Usually VNC is overkill, and as robbieduncan says you can just ssh over and run your X11 apps remotely. But you'll need to remember to enable X forwarding, which is off by default on your Mac. Also, you'll need to make sure it's enabled on the server end as well - that'll require admin access, of course.

6. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

yeah X11 is great, you might also be intrested in webmin - web based, just a thought really.