Remote desktop to Windows from Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by acidity, Nov 8, 2006.

1. acidity macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2006
  2. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    There is no better client. Primarily because Microsoft does not allow for there to be other clients. I suspect that after the first of the year you'll see an update for RDC (Mac) to coincide with Office 13 (or whatever it is called) and Vista and Leopard.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

Oct 29, 2006
    ~119W 34N
    VNC works cross platform, and is free. Used it for many years from Mac to Win. Also used it a home, tunneling through a Win2K PC using VPN (the type of VPN was not available for Mac, at the time).

Make sure to set VNC server on the Win machine to start on boot, in case you need to remotely restart the Windows machine.

"Chicken-of-the-VNC" seems to be a nice client on Mac.
  4. acidity thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2006
    Well, that is not an option as the WINDOWS machine are my Universities box and they dont have VNC installed on it. Only windows remote desktop so I guess my best option is to download the M$ one :)
  5. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    #5 works well. I have run both it and MS's RDC on my Mac, and I use rdesktop on Linux. The only thing that might put you off about rdesktop is, it's command line so you need to go into Terminal. I find it very stable, but if I recall correctly about MS RDC, it has the ability to access your local HD from the Windows machine but rdesktop doesn't support that.

Also, compiling the source on your Intel Mac means you automatically get a native Intel version.

One neat thing about rdesktop is that (apparently - I haven't done it) you can run Windows apps rootless, ie. outside of a Windows window, if you install Seamless RDP on your Windows machine.
  6. psychofreak Retired

May 16, 2006
    Rosetta is what you mean
  7. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    I think you mean Rosetta, not Rhapsody. ;) And yes, PPC apps are of course slower since they're being emulated in a sense, but since it doesn't sound like you have much control over the Windows box, MS RDC is the best option.
  8. theBB macrumors 68020

Jan 3, 2006
    I use MS RDC on an intel Mac. It takes quite a few bounces when I first launch it, but once it starts the delays across the network is a bigger bottleneck. I would not worry about it.
  9. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    I did some more research and found this - TSClientX which combines a frontend for rdesktop with seamlessrdp, although I can't get seamlessrdp to work, for some reason.

It does actually seem to be faster than Microsoft's RDC.

You need X11 installed though.
  10. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2005
    Between cats, dogs and wanderlust.
    plinden, thank you so much. I've been looking for an OS X rdesktop implementation, but haven't recently taken the initiative. SeamlessRDP was a bit finicky (for instance, you don't use quotes like the README would suggest).

And, of course, the seamlessrdp folder has to be put on the target Windows PC. Otherwise it has STUNNING results (being able to have the remote machine's task manager running on my Mac? Beautiful.). You just made my day. It's not without its bugs, but still...

rdesktop was the one thing I missed from my Linux usage. I've been going all this time thinking I was without... :(
  11. acidity thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2006
    Tried both M$ RDC and Cord....not much difference so I am not sure whom to tilt with...anyway...but they both have one issue....

I just cant right click on my windows desktop now? Ctrl+Mouse dosnt work....which key should I enter for getting the right click on Windows? Do I have to setup or its not possible?

And yeah I mean Rosetta...not Rhapsody....just got confused with the names :p