Remote Desktop/Virtual PC Question

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by LimeiBook86, Sep 13, 2002.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I have virtual PC running windows XP, i want to use the remote desktop feature on a PC at school, I set the computers up and everything, but I cant connect to my emulated PC, cuz my MAC and PC have the same IP address, is there a way to have sepret Ip addreses? Becasue when I try to connect it tells me that the network might not be connected or there was a network error. I have a Cable Modem with a router and a Hub so i can split the ethernet connection if I need to, I have one ethernet port. I need help!

2. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

You can tell Virtual P(iece of) C(rap) version 5 in Settings (for a Virtual machine) -> Network -> Virtual Switch to give your VPC a separate IP address. That means that you either need to have a DHCP server on your network, and your virtual PC configured to use DHCP, or you need to find a valid address on your network and manually set the VPC to use it. Your cable modem might not let more than one computer use it at a time. Some of them only give at one DHCP address, and link that to the computers hardware address, and will not let packets from a different hardware address to go through the cable modem. If you have jaguar, you might be able to use the built in internet connection sharing to share your cable modem connection (but I doubt it).

One important thing, you can't use the remote desktop without having the terminal services running on the PC. That means Win XP (and I am not sure if the home edition has any limitations on the remote desktop use). Under 2000, I believe that you need to install this service separately (and have a license to install it).

Hope this helps. BTW I wouldn't install XP under VPC. It is slow as **** when your constipated.

3. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I know Windoze XP runs slow, very slow, but it runs OK on my Dad's PowerMac G4 (450mhz) well thanks, but I doubt I can get it to work. ;)