Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by redneon, Aug 30, 2006.

1. redneon macrumors member

I've been using VNC to remotely control my Mac at home from my Windows PC at work but have been getting increasingly frustrated at how slow it is and was wondering if there's a better alternative?

I've looked at Apple Remote Desktop but that just seems to be a client rather than a server. In which case, does this mean that the server is already enabled in OS X? If so, is there a Windows client for this server as Apple Remote Desktop seems to be Mac only.

I used to work with Microsoft's RDP which is a hell of a lot better than VNC but I believe that's Windows only. There's a Mac client but not a Mac server.

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I'm not sure if you've tried the Microsoft Remote Desktop client for Mac, but it's bloody awful. It's nothing, and I mean nothing, like the fantastic Windows XP version :(

I'm thinking it's VNC or squat.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think I'm right in saying Apple Remote Desktop is just a fancy GUI around what is basically VNC anyway. AFAIK, a VNC server of one sort or another - be it Apples own or 3rd party - with a Windows VNC client is your only option.

4. Queso macrumors G4

The Apple Remote Desktop option under the System Preferences>>Sharing panel enables a VNC server on your Mac. That is Apple's preferred Remote Control software. I've found that the VNC client you use at the other end makes a difference to the speed of the screen redraws so try different ones.

Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection for Mac is to allow you to remote control a Windows machine from a Mac, so it isn't relevant to what you want to do. There are also commercial alternatives such as Timbuktu but having not used them I cannot give any advice on which is best.