??Remote Desktop??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by xscorpion, Dec 11, 2003.

1. xscorpion macrumors newbie

What is a good program to remote desktop (control) a mac from a windows pc? Is there such a program? Looking for the exact same thing as Remote Desktop that comes with Windows XP Pro.

Is the Apple Remote Destkop the same thing? Was reading on this, but it is mainly for school and businesses and don't need that much licenses. I know Microsoft has program which you can control a windows pc from a mac but I'm looking for a program that does the opposite, control a mac from a windows pc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    xscorpion

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

VNC will to the trick, sorry I don't have any detials, but go a Google to find out more.

3. xscorpion thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Checked out VNC but it doesn't seem to be very powerful and sounds like Apple's Remote Desktop sounds better. Forgot about Symantec's PcAnywhere but that's only for the PCs.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    xscorpion

4. xscorpion thread starter macrumors newbie

Tired out VNC. Can connect to my mac from my windows pc but they are on the same lan, so they work.

Is there a way to connect to a compute via a specific port? In the VNC Server you can change the port but not in the VNC Viewer. How can I change it so it goes to a specific port? I configured my router to point my port to the IP address of my mac.

5. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

You do it this way in the viewer:

host::port

(note the two colons there).

So if your server is magrathea.domain running on port 4242 you would connect to:

magrathea.domain::4242

If you want to add security, or are behind a firewall ssh tunnelling works great with VNC. Then you don't have to worry about the security of the vnc server or about sending passwords in plantext.