Remote Desktops HELP, xp controling tiger....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by whyrichard, Sep 4, 2005.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello wonderful, intelligent, brilliant mac people....

I need some help.

I would love to control my mac, using tiger, from my pc, using xp. through a network, and maybe even through the internet...

real vpn? chicken of the vpn? clients? servers? adminstrators? WHAT????

any help would greatly be apprecieated.

r.

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

You're going to have to run a VNC server on your Mac and a VNC client on your PC. There are a bunch available. I use OSXVNC as a server on my Mac. Can't remember right off hand what I have on my PC, but there are plenty out there.

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

i got this far on the pc...

i got vncviewer on the pc, and vnc server on mac running, and this is the error message i get:

"unable to resolve host by name: the requested name is valid and was found in the database, but it does nott have the correct associated data being resolved for. (11004)"

any help good wonderful mac people?

r.

4. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

i'm been trying to figure this stuff otu for monthes....

5. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

??!?!

how is it so easy for you all?!?!?!?!?!

i am an architecture grad student and being able to get this vnc **** working feels like the most important thing right now!

can anyone help me?

r.

6. bgd macrumors regular

Think I saw something similar when I tried to use the machine name. Used the IP address (when logging on from the client) and connected with no problems.

7. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Sounds like whatever name you are using for your mac your XP PC is unaware of it..... try using the ip address instead (as mentioned above). If that works you can always add to name and ip to your XP hosts file if you really want to do it by name.

I use OSXvnc on my mac and realVNC Client on XP to connect to my home mac from work....... I also use a ssh tunnel to add security.

8. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Do not forget to go to Sharing in system preferences and activate VNC ports! I just did it and works Fu**ng great! :)

9. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Ahhh yes you'll need to do that for ssh [port 22] too if you want to tunnel.

10. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I've never had good luck using computer names for networking. I always use IP addresses, and that seems to be a lot more reliable.

11. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

how do i add port 22?

"osxvnc can't listen on thespecified port (22). Probably because another vnc is already using this port" ...?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP EVERYONE!...

12. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Sorry I think I have added to the confusion by mentioning ssh and port 22...... this is an additional security layer once you have vnc up and running...... don't worry about it until you have vnc working on it's normal ports of 5900-5902.

I've pm-ed you a more detailed checklist of what to do for plain VNC, try all that.