Remote Disc with Windows 8

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gadgetware, Jan 26, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I was trying to install Lightroom on my new 2012 iMac from disk by sharing the CD/DVD from my PC running Windows 8. At first I tried straight up sharing from the windows box and although that worked, I could not see any of the Mac files on the drive, only the install files with exe extensions.

I next tried installing remote disc via the instructions found here and the Remote Disc icon shows up in Finder and I can see my win8 box listed but when I select it it never comes up and says "waiting for disc drive". Checked the windows firewall settings and everything should be correct.

Just curious if anyone else has been successful getting remote disc to work between a win8 machine and the new iMac? I eventually just downloaded the install from from Adobe but I would like to get this working in case I need to load any other software from disc.

2. macrumors newbie

Try this

After installing and configure the remote disc application, you need to change the share property of the CD drive on windows 8 PC. Right click on the windows 8 PC CD drive -> Share with -> Advanced sharing -> Sharing -> Advance sharing -> check the box Share this folder -> Permission Everyone Allow Read -> OK -> OK. Restart windows 8 PC. Try to read remote disc from Mac.