Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
Hey there,

Recently transitioned to Plex and recently downloaded the Plex iOS app. I can sign into my myPlex just fine and see my Plex server and stream content just fine.

My question is, if I'm using the Plex client on my MBA (which is accessing my Plex server remotely), can I use the iOS app to control the client?

An example scenario:
  1. Mac Mini is the remote Plex server
  2. MacBook Air is running the Plex client
  3. MacBook Air is hooked up to the TV
  4. Use Plex iOS app to control MacBook Air Plex client
Perhaps it's a dumb question, but I can't seem to figure it out. My MBA is not showing up as a Plex device on my network :(

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
it should work to control you mac.

make sure the firewall on your mac is off.

click the TV icon at the bottom of the plex screen, your mac should show up there if it's running the plex player.
If it's not there, try rebooting everything (iOS, your mac, and network gear)

once you've selected your mac, you can use the remote function, and you can even browse your library on the iOS device, select your media, and have it play on the Mac.

Can you see your mac in the apple remote app? it should be able to see itunes on your mac

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hey there,

Recently transitioned to Plex and recently downloaded the Plex iOS app. I can sign into my myPlex just fine and see my Plex server and stream content just fine.

My question is, if I'm using the Plex client on my MBA (which is accessing my Plex server remotely), can I use the iOS app to control the client?

An example scenario:
  1. Mac Mini is the remote Plex server
  2. MacBook Air is running the Plex client
  3. MacBook Air is hooked up to the TV
  4. Use Plex iOS app to control MacBook Air Plex client
Perhaps it's a dumb question, but I can't seem to figure it out. My MBA is not showing up as a Plex device on my network :(

If I remember correctly this only works with the new PHT client not the older PMC client, in order to get PHT you need to be a plexpass member.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.