Remote for Rebel XT night shooting: Wireless or connected?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by seenew, Aug 6, 2006.

1. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I had used an IR remote that came with my Coolpix 8800 to do night shots with, so I wouldn't have to touch the camera, but then I found out that with longer exposures, the IR light from the remote/receiver was showing up pink on one side of my shots.

So I'm looking for a remote for my new 350D, and since both the wireless and connected are the same price, I was wondering which I should get. Does the Rebel XT have this same IR interference as the Coolpix with a wireless remote?

2. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I have the wired remote for mine, and like it. My only complaint is that it's easy to accidentally push the shutter release on the remote into burst mode. I never wanted the IR release, as you can't be behind the camera to use it.

3. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

Hmm, okay then. I'll look into the wired one. Thanks!

4. oblomow macrumors 68000

oblomow

A wired remote for the Canon 350D? That would be nice, I thought there
    were only wireless remotes. <checking> Yes, my favourite supplier only lists
    the wireless ones. Can you give me the Canon product code, so I can check
    whether it's available in the netherlands as well?

5. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Canon Remote Switch RS60 E3.

Amazon Link

6. oblomow macrumors 68000

oblomow

Thanks! found it. My local supplier has is for 45 euro ($50). That seems a bit pricey.

7. cookie1105 macrumors 6502

I got the RC1 (wireless) a while ago for my 350d. I got wireless mainly because then i didn't have to be next to the camera to take a shot (light + flash painting). Good fun! I have never noticed any interference with the exposure.

I am sure that the RC3 is more than adequate, but my B&M weren't able to get hold of one for me so I ended up with the RC1.

8. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

There should be the 3rd party remote switch for Rebel at the half the cost of Canon OEM. I bought the 3rd party one for my D30 from Amazaon (it was called "high quality" something). I heard OEM switch is made of flimsy plastic as well; so there is not much difference in quality between the 3rd party and Canon OEM.

I also think wired switch would be better than wireless. No worry about signal strenght, battery, and etc.

9. Lebowski macrumors 6502

just remember, there are 2 different wired canon remotes. the one above is the one for the XT, the other model is for the 20D and others....