Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
Does anyone know of a program similar to logmein that will allow me to connect to my iMac from another computer? logmein works great (and is free), but you can't connect to a Mac. Thanks for any ideas!

rglatter

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2006
Arkansas
I think gotomypc works on mac. Are you trying to log in from a mac or PC? also I think using a vnc server would work. host it on the mac and log into it over the internet. Also its good to see a fellow arkansan on these boards GO HOGS!!

andrewmulligan

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2006
As rcglatter said, You can just set up a VNC network. VNC supports PCs and Macs. That seems like the best solturon for your problem.

fradac

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Ya VNC works, i use it all the time.

actually OS X has VNC server built in you just need to start the service and then if you have a router at home you need to turn on some portal mapping.

once setup you can use your apple from anywhere in the world. just by your home ipaddress and the set password

pm me if you want me to run you through the process

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
Well, I got VNC to work (using tightVNC) but it is extremely slow. My home internet connection is 1.5MB down and 384 up, so I suppose that 384 is a lot of the problem. My connection at work is 4.5MB up and down. When I connect to my home XP box from work it runs very fast. I use windows at work, and connect to my home XP box using logmein.
I've tried different settings in tightVNC to speed it up, but it just makes it incredibly ugly and incredibly slow at the same time. Any ideas to speed it up?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Razorhog said:
I've tried different settings in tightVNC to speed it up, but it just makes it incredibly ugly and incredibly slow at the same time.
Same problem here. Makes me really appreciate what Microsoft does with "Remote Desktop". Hopefully Apple will find a way to enhance VNC somehow to make it more comparable with RDP.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
I haven't tried timbuktu, but everything I've tried with ARD just doesn't seem to help the speed issue. What I ended up doing is connecting to my PC via logmein, then starting a VNC session to the iMac over my home network. It's WAY faster than using VNC directly. Apple should really work on the remote control features in Mac OS X....

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Razorhog said:
Any ideas to speed it up?
One thing is to reduce the number of colors (on your home system and in CotVNC) to 100's or, God forbid, 256. That will speed things up significantly. Another option is to reduce the home screen resolution.

Hacks, yes, but they do work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.