Remote login

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bobdude161, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Mar 12, 2006
    N'Albany, Indiana
    I am wanting to remotely connect to my Mac at home from one my colleges' PCs. I have MS Office 2004 on the Mac and it came with a "Remote Desktop Connection". It seems it only has an option of letting me connect to other computers, but not vice versa. I have port 22 open and Remote Login enabled in the prefs. And right now I'm practicing connecting to the Mac with my PC within my LAN network. But when I try to connect from the PC to the Mac it says it can't connect. Same thing happens when I try to do the opposite. How do I go about this?
  2. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    Microsoft's Remote Desktop application can only connect to Windows computers running the Remote Desktop server.

"Remote Login" on the Mac is actually remote SSH access (command line / terminal), and "Apple Remote Desktop" is really more what you are looking for. If you enable that, you can connect to your Mac from another Mac running Remote Desktop (which is not free).

If you enable VNC access within the Apple Remote Desktop settings, you can connect to your Mac with any freely-available VNC client such as RealVNC, TightVNC, or Chicken of the VNC (for the mac).

You would have to keep port 5900 open for your Mac, then you can connect to it, enter your password, and you will be able to use your desktop. The third-party OSXVNC server seems a lot more speedier than the Apple-provided server, if you want to go through the trouble of installing that.