Remote Management App Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RyuMD, May 7, 2006.

1. RyuMD macrumors newbie

Hey y'all, I'm wondering..

I'm trying to manage periodic maintenance on my family's macs, which are all located in different places around California - without having to move my arse. I looked into Apple Remote Desktop, but it only offers intra-network operations. Now, I know there's an application for off-site, off-network, internet management of other macs, but I forget what it's called. Does anyone here know about it? Has anybody used it before? If so, how'd you like it?

Much thanks.

2. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

If you are just looking to be able to access and maintain the machines then the VNC server built into OS X plus something like AlmostVPN to set up ssh tunneling will do the job for you.

ARD allows you to trigger parallel installs of software on multiple machines which can also be tunneled over ssh, but for maintaining family computers it is overkill.

3. RyuMD thread starter macrumors newbie

that's not the one i heard of from the genius i talked to, but thanks. i looked into it and it looks like it's the economical option. i'm still trying to get the name of that software though.. i'll post it up here when i find it out just in case anyone needs it..